Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey OSX Mail Search does not work

I know this has been written up elsewhere, but I wanted to share my experience in case the pattern suggests a fix to anyone.

After upgrading to Monterey, my mail search does not work. This is what happens and stays this way:

I have tried the following:

1. Telephone calls with Apple support and Senior Apple support (who both did screen shares) - they could not help and said would refer the problem to engineering.
  2. I rebuilt my mailboxes by deleting all envelope**** files in ~/Library/Mail/V9/MailData. The search above "oura" worked the first time post rebuild, but has stopped working again. Strange behavior indeed!

Any suggestions would be very welcome - many thanks!

iMac 27″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 9:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 17, 2021 9:49 AM

This may sound implausible but when I had this issue with Big Sur I found that by going to mail preferences -> general and unchecking "Prefer opening messages in Split View when in full screen" I was able to search. I'm currently using this setting in Monterey on my M1 iMac and I can search my mailboxes.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 17, 2021 9:49 AM in response to akfromnyc

This may sound implausible but when I had this issue with Big Sur I found that by going to mail preferences -> general and unchecking "Prefer opening messages in Split View when in full screen" I was able to search. I'm currently using this setting in Monterey on my M1 iMac and I can search my mailboxes.

Monterey OSX Mail Search does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.