Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erase Button Greyed Out

Hey guys,

I'm trying to erase all data from my macbook pro 13' 2019. In Disk Utility the button for erasing is greyed out, It can't be done either with Disk Utility in System Preferences and neither after restarting and opening Disk Utility with Command+R. I've tried all hacks I've found (First Aid first, showing All Devices) without any luck. Is there any option to do that some other way?

Thank you :)

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 7:34 PM

Greetings Adam_Soch,

Wondering which Mac OS is installed on your MacBook Pro.

Apple support have an article online ... gives a new method for recent Mac OS versions

Erase all content and settings on Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212749

Hope this helps :-)

2 replies

Dec 23, 2021 7:49 PM in response to Adam_Soch

Adam_Soch Said:

"Erase Button Greyed Out: Hey guys, I'm trying to erase all data from my macbook pro 13' 2019. In Disk Utility the button for erasing is greyed out,[...]"

-------

Mount the Drive:

Boot into Recovery Mode (Hold Down: [Command + R] upon boot). Then, using Disk Utility, see if the Hard Drive is seen. If it is, then see if you need to click the “Mount’ button for it. Try rebooting once more. If of no success, then click unmount button, and then the mount button. Try rebooting once more.

Erase Button Greyed Out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.