Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off “Notifications Silenced” on iPhone

Ever since my wife upgraded her iPhone 12 to IOS 15.1.1, my text messages to her show ".... has notifications silenced"

I've researched this issue and followed every solution I've come across. I've done the following:

• disabled anything to do with Focus
  • Turned off Share Across Devices
  • Logged into her Apple ID and found her ID was active on her iPhone and her Roku stick. I deleted the Roku stick from her account. She has no other Apple devices and does not have iTunes installed on her laptop.
  • She has Do Not Disturb set up but that ends at 7:30 am. I have turned it off and back on
  • Rebooted her iPhone 12

At this point, I'm out of options. I would appreciate any assistance that Apple, or any expert for that matter, can provide.

TIA

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 12

Posted on Dec 24, 2021 6:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 31, 2022 7:18 AM

I have tried everything that has been listed below and my phone still shows the "notification silenced". The even weirder thing to me is that my phone still vibrates and rings, it just tells others that I'm silenced. How is it that so many people have this issue and yet Apple still hasn't fixed it?!?

46 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 31, 2022 7:18 AM in response to reiddg

I have tried everything that has been listed below and my phone still shows the "notification silenced". The even weirder thing to me is that my phone still vibrates and rings, it just tells others that I'm silenced. How is it that so many people have this issue and yet Apple still hasn't fixed it?!?

Feb 16, 2022 8:41 AM in response to reiddg

I’ve tried all the steps and wound up talking to 1st level support for 2 hours last night. Every step they recommended I have already done. This morning I spoke with the next level up support who verified everything we did previously was correct. We then installed software on my phone so they could diagnose it, we took dozens of screen shots. All this will be sent to the engineers for a permanent solution supposedly. After all this I fixed the problem myself. Focus needs to be turned off on every Apple device you own, phone, iPad, watch, laptop and iMac (this is where I actually fixed the problem) When you are on the Focus screen in settings (iPhone or iPad) tap the do not disturb and delete any people you have, if you have to the right of that any apps listed delete them too. Under option on the same page it should say Focus disabled. When you click Home Screen the buttons should be greyed out the same thing with the Lock Screen. I actually had two things listed below that but I don’t remember what they were I deleted them both.

Go back to where it says Focus in the top left hand corner tap then down at the bottom it says Share Across Devices, turn this off. He is where I think the problem is. If you notice is says Turning on Focus for this device will also turn it on for your other devices. I don’t think this is true. Do these steps for your iPhone and iPad if you have one. If you have the watch make sure in the Focus setting it says mirror my watch. After doing all these things to my three devices and finishing up with support I still had the problem. I got to thinking maybe my iMac has a problem with Focus which I didn’t even realize it used. THIS IS WHERE THE PROBLEM WAS ACTUALLY FIXED.

On iMac go to:

System preferences (the Apple in the top left had corner of your screen)

Look for the Bell icon, Notifications & Focus

There should be two tabs, notifications and Focus. Tap Focus

Do not disturb should be off

Allowed notifications from-delete any people and and apps you have listed

In Turn On Automatically deleted anything you may have set up yourself

Uncheck share focus status

Now the biggie that finally fixed this issue at least for me.

Uncheck Share across devices (which as I said earlier if this was really working once you unchecked this either on your iPhone or iPad it should have also fixed it here unless I’m missing something.

So that worked for me. I have since forwarded this to my Apple case worker but he has not gotten back with me yet. Let me know if this did or didn’t work for you.

Focus may have been a good ideal but it obviously has some bugs in it. I liked the old Do Not Disturb better it was much easier to use.

Jan 31, 2022 1:11 PM in response to reiddg

I’m have the same issue as posted by Dennis @reiddg. When I send messages to my dad it says “Dad has notifications silenced”. He’s on an older phone - iPhone 6 and there’s an option to silence notifications always or to silence notifications when screen is off. There’s no option NOT to silence notifications and one of those options must be selected. So unless he’s holding his phone he misses every message. Makes meeting for coffee more frustrating than it should be!!

Apr 17, 2022 11:07 AM in response to reiddg

OK, I just hung up after talking with Apple's customer service and they resolved the problem. BTW the customer service person was super helpful and very nice.

1. Go to Settings --> Focus --> Do Not Disturb, and turn off Do Not Disturb. Then in that same window, click on Focus Status and turn off Share Focus Status.
  2. Go back to the Do Not Disturb page and make sure there's nothing active under Turn On Automatically.
  3. Go back to the Focus page and make sure that there's nothing set up under Personal or Work. Those should say "Set up." While on the Focus page, turn on Share Across Devices.
  4. Also, go to Settings --> Messages, and turn off Focus under "Allow messages to Access."
  5. Make sure Share Across Devices is turned on for all devices, and that none of your devices is set to Focus or DND.

That's it.

Apr 22, 2022 10:40 PM in response to cat562

I have this exact issue with my moms phone! She just got a new iPhone, and when I go to message her I see mom “has notifications silenced”.

1. my husband does NOT see this notice when he texts her (it only shows to me)
  2. she does NOT in fact have notifications silenced (they are not disabled/focus is not turned on)
  3. the messages DO go through on BOTH her iPhone and her Apple Watch

After two hours of troubleshooting last night (literally trying everything in this post before I even found this post) something finally worked. It was some combination of toggling DND/sharing across devices/focus. I can’t recall what exactly it was, but we “fixed it”.

Fast forward to right now and this issue is back.

Enough people seem to have this problem, hopefully Apple can figure things out and prioritize fixing it. Having to jump through all these hoops is rather extreme. If anyone has any new suggestions please share in the interim - thanks!

Apr 21, 2022 9:45 AM in response to B_u_c_K

It was happening with only one of my contacts, (not all) and I have no expectations of you or anyone else. I was simply sharing what worked for me in an effort to help others and it seems to have helped at least one person so there’s that. Isn’t that what this forum is for? Assuming that you already contacted AppleCare about this…. If not, please do.

Feb 14, 2022 10:37 AM in response to wildblueyonder

I had this same issue for a few weeks. Finally fixed it by removing all scheduled focus and turning off do not disturb ON ALL DEVICES THAT USE THAT APPLEID/PHONE NUMBER.

Then in settings, cycle (turn on and off, then set to your preference) “share across devices”. This seemed to get everything synced up and removed the hide notifications, then we could chose to not share across devices so I could do focus on my laptop but always have notifications on on my phone.

Apr 18, 2022 4:59 PM in response to Jgephoneissues

Nothing has worked!!!! Please have apple fix this. We went into the store and the girl was clueless. She said just reset your settings …typical “it” response. I expected more from the actual apple store. It was in Gilbert AZ and my wife is upset that she can’t get it fixed. She works as a dog sitter and her clients are getting a notification on the bottom of the screen that she is on do not disturb while watching clients dogs. She is frustrated beyond belief and I am thinking of telling her to switch phones at this point and get the dreaded “droid” phone.

Apr 27, 2022 2:40 PM in response to reiddg

This is happening to my husband when he messages me or anyone else who has an iPhone—it says that he has his notifications silence. I have tried ever single “fix” out there including what people have listen here and nothing works. I’ve even went as far as deleting focus’. Apple needs to come out with an update for this issue.

Dec 24, 2021 6:57 AM in response to reiddg

reiddg wrote:

• Ever since my wife upgraded her iPhone 12 to IOS 15.1.1, my text messages to her show ".... has notifications silenced"

disabled anything to do with Focus
• Turned off Share Across Devices
• Logged into her Apple ID and found her ID was active on her iPhone and her Roku stick. I deleted the Roku stick from her account. She has no other Apple devices and does not have iTunes installed on her laptop.
• She has Do Not Disturb set up but that ends at 7:30 am. I have turned it off and back on
• Rebooted her iPhone 12

You will have to do all the above on your device and not on hers.

Turn off “Notifications Silenced” on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.