Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sometimes when I open up a new tab on my safari, I get a document type window instead of the website. I have to click on the page for it to go to the website. Why does it do that. It is very frustrating.

Sometimes when I open up a new tab on my safari, I get a document type window instead of the website. I have to click on the page for it to go to the website. Why does it do that. It is very frustrating.

Mac Pro

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 10:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 7:22 AM

I have a solution.

I had a number of issues relating to my late-2009 iMac operating at 10.13.6, sufficient to employ my neighbourhood PC home visit fixer. (I know, I really should trade up, but not this quarter).

The issue was use Reader ticks, or not.

To display normally >

Open Safari

click Menu

open Preferences

open Websites

under 'automatically use Reader on Websites below'

switch all to OFF, including bottom corner 'when visiting other websites'.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2022 7:22 AM in response to MrHoffman

I have a solution.

I had a number of issues relating to my late-2009 iMac operating at 10.13.6, sufficient to employ my neighbourhood PC home visit fixer. (I know, I really should trade up, but not this quarter).

The issue was use Reader ticks, or not.

To display normally >

Open Safari

click Menu

open Preferences

open Websites

under 'automatically use Reader on Websites below'

switch all to OFF, including bottom corner 'when visiting other websites'.

Dec 26, 2021 12:47 PM in response to PIMENTELH

In my case, many websites become unusable because of this document-type window. Ironically, to get round this, I have simply dumped Safari, and loaded Firefox as my default. (running Duck, duck, Go.)

I had assumed that it must be my bad for running a MacOS safari on 10.13.6 on a late-2019 iMac. Yet the 'independent' Firefox takes it into its stride.

Dec 26, 2021 1:30 PM in response to 55North

55North wrote:
I had assumed that it must be my bad for running a MacOS safari on 10.13.6 on a late-2019 iMac. Yet the 'independent' Firefox takes it into its stride.

The iMac 2019 models are first supported with Mojave macOS 10.14, and not with High Sierra macOS 10.13.

They’ll run Mojave to Monterey.

Unless you’re preserving access to some 32-bit apps, try an upgrade.

Dec 26, 2021 7:09 PM in response to 55North

55North wrote:

In my case, many websites become unusable because of this document-type window. Ironically, to get round this, I have simply dumped Safari, and loaded Firefox as my default. (running Duck, duck, Go.)

Any add-on VPN client apps, any add-on anti-malware apps, add-on cleaner apps, add-on ad-blocking apps, or similar present on your Mac? If so, remove those and try again.

Post a screenshot of this “document-type” window too, if there’s nothing sensitive shown in it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.