Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Share Desktop, Downloads or Documents

On one of my three Macs, one of the two on Monterey, I'm unable to share my Desktop, Downloads of Documents folders from within my User folder. I've always been able to do this to facilitate moving files from one computer to another and the other computer on Monterey allows me to do it.

I'm the only user on all three with Admin Privileges. I've crawled and crawled the settings on both Monterey machines to be sure they're set up the same way and cannot find any difference. I've even done a clean install. All Sharing settings are the same and Get Info on those folders is also the same under Sharing and Permissions.

The rest of the User folder is fully accessible, it's just those three that I cannot seem to share. But why?

The only difference is in the machines themselves. The one that shares as desired is a 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 Mini. The one that won't share is a MacBook Pro Apple M1 Pro.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Dec 30, 2021 2:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2022 10:08 AM

I was able to solve this problem on my Monterey 12.1 machines on my network using the following steps:

• Completely de-activate sharing on each machine (not just add/remove folders - completely stop file sharing)
  • Reboot each machine
  • Re-enable file sharing on each machine

All sharing is now working as expected on my network.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2022 10:08 AM in response to James Cook2

I was able to solve this problem on my Monterey 12.1 machines on my network using the following steps:

• Completely de-activate sharing on each machine (not just add/remove folders - completely stop file sharing)
  • Reboot each machine
  • Re-enable file sharing on each machine

All sharing is now working as expected on my network.

Jan 3, 2022 6:47 AM in response to Chris_C1

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not a stranger at all to file sharing and believe that I tried everything on the list you referred me to. Nonetheless, I went through it again.

Since File Sharing is working for everything except Desktop, Documents and Downloads, I tried adding the Desktop folder to the Shared Folders list. Oddly that also added a Desktop user in the adjacent pane. I made sure that the right users (me) had access.

On my other computers the file sharing took a step in the wrong direction. Now all shared folders could be selected but provided no access. All they showed when selected was a folder icon with three stick figures. I believe that indicates it's shared. But I couldn't get into anything.

I removed Desktop from the list of users in the sharing setup and saw no difference. When I removed Desktop from the list of shared files, I regained access to what had been accessible before, but still not to the three folders I'm after.

So I tried adding my user folder to the list of shared files. I could access it from the other computers, but again, can't get into those same three. !!?

Both of my other computers provide full access when the entire drive is selected and shared. One is also on Monterey so I can't say it's the OS. This MacBook is the first one I've dealt with that won't share the Desktop.

I've compared the Sharing preferences pane between the two Monterey computers over and over and cannot find anything different about them. Get Info on the two drives shows the MacintoshHD on each has Sharing checked.

Jan 6, 2022 7:51 AM in response to Chris_C1

Thanks again for the effort.

That's one iCloud setting I do not use ever since finding it too confusing as to where my files were actually located. I do use many other features of iCloud though.

I did run Disk Utility's repair on the two Monterey computers ( I also did a clean install TWICE on the unsharing MacBook) but nothing changed. The MacBook alone will not share Desktop, Documents, and Downloads from my user folder. Everything else on this MacBook shares just fine.

I am the sole user and an Administrator on all of my computers and logged in with the same username, etc.

Jan 7, 2022 7:25 AM in response to Chris_C1

I will contact support, thanks.

A note worth adding, this morning I noticed that when I connect to the MacBook, there are two other folders showing. Both show the full contents of the MacBook's hard drive and DO allow me to burrow down and into the folders I've been trying to access via sharing. They are named .cs.ecfm.temp.dir. then an individual code on each, one being cX08gN5

They are not current and have no Get Info available.

Meantime, my shared user folder is still listed as expected and still refuses to give me access to the Desktop.

Can't Share Desktop, Downloads or Documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.