Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil 2 not showing in Bluetooth

Apple Pencil 2 works with my IPad Pro 2021 but not pairing. After hard reset in my IPad Pro with Apple Pencil turned on and placed on magnetic side, It still does not show under Devices. Only way I can charge the Pencil is thru the USB-c cable. I also tried turning Bluetooth off and then on, other devices showing but NOT Apple Pencil.

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 5:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 5:25 AM

Something here doesn’t make any sense…

A first generation Apple Pencil is charged and paired with an iPad via the Pencil’s Lightning connector (located beneath the Pencil’s protective cap).

By contrast, a second generation Pencil can only charged and paired with the host iPad using the magnetic/inductive connection on the long-edge of compatible models of iPad. The second generation Pencil has no direct electrical connection with which to charge the Pencil using a cable.

A key point here is that the two versions of Apple Pencil use a different pairing and charging interface. The two generations can only be used with specific models of iPad - and are not interchangeable.

Here is Apple’s definitive compatibility list for Apple Pencil and iPad:

Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

As described, you appear to be attempting to use a first generation Apple Pencil with an iPad that either doesn’t support Apple Pencil - or requires a second generation Pencil.

Perhaps your can clarify - by providing your iPad model:

Settings > General > About

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2021 5:25 AM in response to Apple_ksl

Something here doesn’t make any sense…

A first generation Apple Pencil is charged and paired with an iPad via the Pencil’s Lightning connector (located beneath the Pencil’s protective cap).

By contrast, a second generation Pencil can only charged and paired with the host iPad using the magnetic/inductive connection on the long-edge of compatible models of iPad. The second generation Pencil has no direct electrical connection with which to charge the Pencil using a cable.

A key point here is that the two versions of Apple Pencil use a different pairing and charging interface. The two generations can only be used with specific models of iPad - and are not interchangeable.

Here is Apple’s definitive compatibility list for Apple Pencil and iPad:

Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

As described, you appear to be attempting to use a first generation Apple Pencil with an iPad that either doesn’t support Apple Pencil - or requires a second generation Pencil.

Perhaps your can clarify - by providing your iPad model:

Settings > General > About

Apple Pencil 2 not showing in Bluetooth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.