Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can anyone help me with posting images on the forum, please?

Dear ASC Users,

I saw a clever, and amusing, graphic a few weeks ago posted by Allan Jones, about posting images on the forum and I thought he would be the very man to help me with some problems I have when inserting graphics into my posts that have been set out on my Pages for iPad documents and sent from an iPad mini running iPadOS 15.2

As a new member, I am still finding my feet and my way around. I’m in my 70s and presently housebound with Covid. I have never been part of any social media thing before and I thought I would join the Apple Support Communities as a new pastime - and, I was hopeful, of passing on some of my knowledge about iPads.

The first problem I have is that I cannot get my link control command button to operate consistently, as shown in the image below. I found a way around this very niggling problem by turning my link text into a PDF. But whenever I then screenshoot the result, and turn it into a photo, the link doesn’t operate again.

Alternatively, is there a way I could incorporate links into the complicated image I made below? If not, is there a way I could incorporate a link to my Apple Support Communities membership and have it automatically appear in all my posts?

I hope all these questions are okay to ask about. I have read the John Galt tip about how to write an effective question - John’s guide tends to focus on the bigger global points of posting and not the technical minutiae of actually physically posting an item onto the board. I could not find any answers on the site - but I’m hopeless at getting answer's out of Google anyway.

The next problem I have is getting my captions and images to line up. I don’t have a measure for the ragged right line breaks - or an on screen rule in the posting box window. I estimate it to be 82 characters at 14pt regular base Helvetica in the posting box window. But when I replicate this on my Pages app documents, the lines never match up.

I have now taken to incorporating images and captions together in the one screenshot. But I then face the trouble that when I reduce the image to fit in with the rest of the post body text, the caption writing also shrinks to small print size.

The image above is what I see on my iPad when I press the button to ask a question. There is no rule incorporated in the iPad version. The double bar window size adjustment control in the bottom right hand corner is also inoperable and can’t be adjusted to see more of what is being posted.

The whole thing then becomes a matter of guesswork and images appear all over the place, unlike the posts I see from more experienced members. What is the secret to getting this right? Every one appears to know the answer but me.

By the by. Do you know if there is a way to get a bigger window as used on a Mac - without buying one?

Finally, do you know the answer as to wether posts will be set on a white or a grey background? The graphic below was screen shot on my plain white Pages document paper. It, of course, blends in very well with the white of the forum posting box.

It is when it is set against the grey background that it all looks very bad. I could duplicate my posts to have grey and white versions. But the trouble is, the background colour appears to be completely random. Is there another secret to knowing what the background colour will be just before you post?

I much obliged to all for taking the time to get this far. Any tips or steers elsewhere would be warmly welcomed.

Thank you for your time. Wishing everyone a very Happy New Year in 2022.

Yours gratefully,

Jock MacAdam

Ps. If Allan Jones is reading this, how did you proportion the toy screen to that of iPad dimensions without distorting the original image of the red plastic body?

And if Alancito is reading this, I saw the lovely image you included in your reply to Allan’s clever graphic. Please can you tell me what it is and where you got it?

iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2021 12:04 PM

Hello Jock, and welcome!!

Since I posted that info I've had eye surgery that has limited my screen time. For a couple of weeks I had to use either an iPad or an iPhone in my lap to keep the repaired retina in healing position, and I learned that posting images is somewhat different on iDevices from the Mac computers I normally use here. My previous answer was about posing image from a computer.

I don't use Pages because the text I develop must be in Word format to keep the editor's blood pressure from looking like the national debt. You might look in on the Pges forums for into on inserting images using that apps.

iWork for iOS - Apple Community

I found I could not scale the images for forums answrs on the iDevices like one can on a computer. Maybe I simply didn't find it in the limited screen time I had.

I am still limiting screen time but can now lift my gaze form my umbilicus to view the real world--and my iMac- for short stretches. Can you find the link to what I posted? I really need to review it before I insert foot in mouth! Screenshots save by default as png format and the forums seem to like that. I see no need to convert to pdf. NOTE: no link with be preserved as active once included in a screenshot, so that is normal behavior.

Images inserted in posts need to be no larger than about 5MB to avoid choking the goat.

I’m in my 70s and presently housebound with Covid.

From an age standpoint here, you are in good company. Most of the senior contributors here are just that—senior. I am also mid-70s but trying hard not to act my age. The eye issues have kept be from singing rock-n-roll because I can't yet drive to band practice! Oh, and I had a breakthrought case of COVID in spite of being vaxxed in Sept. Fortunately the vax made it no more worrisome than a head cold.

I propose that at midnight tonight, I raise a pint to your complete COVID recovery and you can raise one to my right eye!

Allan

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 31, 2021 12:04 PM in response to JockMacAdam

Hello Jock, and welcome!!

Since I posted that info I've had eye surgery that has limited my screen time. For a couple of weeks I had to use either an iPad or an iPhone in my lap to keep the repaired retina in healing position, and I learned that posting images is somewhat different on iDevices from the Mac computers I normally use here. My previous answer was about posing image from a computer.

I don't use Pages because the text I develop must be in Word format to keep the editor's blood pressure from looking like the national debt. You might look in on the Pges forums for into on inserting images using that apps.

iWork for iOS - Apple Community

I found I could not scale the images for forums answrs on the iDevices like one can on a computer. Maybe I simply didn't find it in the limited screen time I had.

I am still limiting screen time but can now lift my gaze form my umbilicus to view the real world--and my iMac- for short stretches. Can you find the link to what I posted? I really need to review it before I insert foot in mouth! Screenshots save by default as png format and the forums seem to like that. I see no need to convert to pdf. NOTE: no link with be preserved as active once included in a screenshot, so that is normal behavior.

Images inserted in posts need to be no larger than about 5MB to avoid choking the goat.

I’m in my 70s and presently housebound with Covid.

From an age standpoint here, you are in good company. Most of the senior contributors here are just that—senior. I am also mid-70s but trying hard not to act my age. The eye issues have kept be from singing rock-n-roll because I can't yet drive to band practice! Oh, and I had a breakthrought case of COVID in spite of being vaxxed in Sept. Fortunately the vax made it no more worrisome than a head cold.

I propose that at midnight tonight, I raise a pint to your complete COVID recovery and you can raise one to my right eye!

Allan

Dec 31, 2021 12:56 PM in response to Allan Jones

Dear Allan,

Thank you very much indeed for your lovely kind reply. I am so very grateful for your advice and the steer. I have been going out of my mind with frustration. I’ve been drafting graphics on my iPad mini, with my painful and swollen arthritic bare fingers the size of small bananas, only for all my efforts to go haywire when I try to post them on my little device.

I think you have also gently pointed me in the right direction. I think the big solution is going to mean I have to buy another Mac again.

Thank you very much for coming to my rescue - you don’t know what it means to me. And I am so truly much obliged and indebted to you for such a lovely act of kindness.

To more important matters. I am very sorry to hear about your eye and your Covid too - I am only 71, does it just get worse from on in? But what a bit of serendipity it has been too. Now you have “seen” how the other half have to slum it. It is only even more power to your elbow.

Please be assured, Allan, that I will be raising more than one glass to your good self. And I will try and get one of the locals living near the Electric Brae to lower a few glasses to your very good health as well. Cheers!

Wishing you all the best for 2022.

Aye yours,

Jock

Ps. here is the link to your post about indenting images. Sorry for the delay, but as I explained above - I still can’t get the link button thing to work on demand. I’ve just been looking at your iPad graphic again - great stuff!

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253289268

Dec 31, 2021 1:12 PM in response to JockMacAdam

As deggie mentioned, this is not social media - rather, it is a technical support forum and, instead of posting in the "how to use this site" forum, your issues would be best addressed in the Pages forum:

https://discussions.apple.com/community/iwork/pages

You could simply copy and paste your post into a new one in the right forum.

I also tend to be as short and precise as possible and do not include images unless they can help with the explanation of the problem (since these are technical forums).

As for posting a link: the simplest is to copy the URL in the address bar and then paste it into your postl

And, since there are more than 3 million users here, you were fortunate that someone in particular happened to see your post.

Dec 31, 2021 11:35 AM in response to JockMacAdam

You still aren’t part of the social media thing, this is a user-to-user technical support site operated by Apple and is not a chat room or social media site. I’m not much on including graphics (and especially not the kind you have posted) in my answers and tend to be as brief and to the point as possible.

It is a holiday weekend so you might wait until the new year for answers regarding graphics. I’m not clear on what your problem is with posting links.

Dec 31, 2021 11:55 AM in response to deggie

Dear deggie,

Thanks for your swift reply. I am sorry if I have done something wrong - maybe I thought it was okay to ask several technica questions at the one time. The thing is Allan Jones gave me the idea of including the graphics with his post about the Etch-A-Sketch toy. And Alancito also posted a lovely graphic.

I read the tip from John Galt, and he appear to swear by including graphics in a post. As my technical question about using graphics in my posts - or rather not because as you can see I can’ t get them to work - means I have to show this.

As for my post being long - take a look at the tennis player link in my post who wrote a monologue about the hair on his arm. Plenty of high level members thought it worthy of contributing.

But you are right - I’ve always admired your own and Allan jones’ good sense and advice. And I will continue to do so.

Yours respectfully,

Jock M.

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Dec 31, 2021 1:41 PM in response to babowa

Dear babowa,

Thank you very much for your reply and the steer. As I said to deggie, I didn’t know how to explain the technical issues I was having about posting graphics without showing the graphic posting problem with the graphics themselves, if you know what I mean.

Please don’t think I’m disputing anything you say - I am new to the site, and I don’t know why my screenshots cannot be included in my post about them not working and the text being out of alignment. You are another of my favourites in the forum, and I hope you will appreciate that Allan could not have given me the technical advice and solution about the pages programme if he had not seen the image shifting problem that I posted.

This is what John Galt said in his tip about posting. And I took a lot of time and trouble to put it all together. Again, as I said to deggie, take a look at that long, long, long, long, long, long non-technical post by the tennis player about the hair on his arm if your looking for social media posts and plenty of others too. Lots of high-level members found that very “technical”. That’s why I though my technical question about the technicalities of using the Apple Support Communities should be addressed to the ASC section.

As for posting social media “stuff”, I wouldn’t know how to do that if I met it in my soup. I’m 71 with Covid and looking for some kindness on this site on Hogmanay, along with your help and advice, as I believe the site rules demand.

But, sincerely, please accept my thanks for coming forward and making the suggestions you have made about my graphics - because I will keep what you have said very much in mind.

Yours respectfully,

Jock MacAdam

Can anyone help me with posting images on the forum, please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.