Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I don't want to upgrade my OS from 10.11.6, but I'm getting a message to upgrade software to recognize my iPhone 11 ProMax. What do I need to do?

I don't want to upgrade my OS from 10.11.6, but I'm getting a message to upgrade software to recognize my iPhone 11 ProMax. What do I need to do?

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 9:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 9:38 AM

Accept the update as presented. Your current macOS version is 6 versions down from current. You need to consider updating at some point more so if you want to manage your iPhone running a new version of iOS.

If its just iTunes issuing the message it will just update iTunes and not your macOS version.

You don't need to go to the current Monterey if you don't want to, but if your Mac supports it, I'd at least update to Mojave. It will run 32 bit Apps if you need them.

Link-> How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2022 9:38 AM in response to Stay10-11-6

Accept the update as presented. Your current macOS version is 6 versions down from current. You need to consider updating at some point more so if you want to manage your iPhone running a new version of iOS.

If its just iTunes issuing the message it will just update iTunes and not your macOS version.

You don't need to go to the current Monterey if you don't want to, but if your Mac supports it, I'd at least update to Mojave. It will run 32 bit Apps if you need them.

Link-> How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Jan 5, 2022 9:42 AM in response to Stay10-11-6

Stay10-11-6 wrote:

Will the upgrade change the version of software? I have specific software programs that will not run on higher than 10.11.6; which will save me thousands of dollars.

If that's the case, then you have a choice to make. Replace/update/upgrade the antiquated software you have that won't run on anything higher than a person of OS X that's 7 years out of date and no longer supported or don't sync your iPhone with your Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.