Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos migrating to MacBook

My new MacBook is taking a VERY long time to download the photos migrated from my IMac. Not sure it is even working. Any thoughts?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 12:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 11:07 PM

What I am not understanding is you say you transferred 19000 photos - were these in the photos library? Viewable when you open the photos app?

Or were they individual image files in a folder?

Then after you transferred the library it synced again with iCloud - and that took a long time - Correct?

If that is now complete then there is nothing else to do. However if the sync has only just started and is taking a long time, you could choose just to create a new empty library, and sync that with iCloud. This is quicker than a sync of a full library, but still quite slow. So if the full sync is more than half way though, probably not worth starting it again.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 5, 2022 11:07 PM in response to marthamlm

What I am not understanding is you say you transferred 19000 photos - were these in the photos library? Viewable when you open the photos app?

Or were they individual image files in a folder?

Then after you transferred the library it synced again with iCloud - and that took a long time - Correct?

If that is now complete then there is nothing else to do. However if the sync has only just started and is taking a long time, you could choose just to create a new empty library, and sync that with iCloud. This is quicker than a sync of a full library, but still quite slow. So if the full sync is more than half way though, probably not worth starting it again.

Jan 5, 2022 5:11 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you Tony. I was migrating everything from my iMac to my new MacBook Air. It kept telling me there was not enough storage, so I kept eliminating what to transfer. So I finally left off enough that a transfer took place. Including the 19,000 photos I have. So when the transfer was finished, the photos took a long time to download. In a perfect world I would have been able to skip transferring the photos. I have them all in the Cloud. I would love to know if I could do that. Clearly I am not tech-savvy. Thanks.

Photos migrating to MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.