You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Air FaceTime no longer connects.

My iPad Air (A1474) wont connect to FaceTime or messages anymore.

It used to work fine. Did Apple somehow disable them on this device?

Running iPad OS 12.5.5, final available update.

I tried wiping and reinstalling the OS, but FaceTime app just spins and then gives error “unable to contact the FaceTime server, try again”. Same with messages.

Am I missing something?

Is there a workaround?

There is no option to toggle it off/on in settings, as it won’t load or open.

thanks.

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 6:19 PM

6 replies

Jan 17, 2022 5:46 AM in response to Danimal67

I have two test devices within immediate reach with iOS 12.5.5 installed - the being an iPad Air1 and an iPad mini2. For both, iMessage and FaceTime are fully functional.

If the support page to which I have already made reference does not resolve your problem, restoring to factory settings will install a fresh copy of iOS 12.5.5 - this being the most recent version of iOS supported by your iPad. Before performing the restore process, ensure that you have an up-to-date iCloud or iTunes backup of your iPad, from which you will be able to restore your data.

Restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod to factory settings – Apple Support

Restore all content to iPad from a backup - Apple Support

You’ll need access to either a PC (with iTunes installed) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of MacOS).

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

Use of a PC or Mac computer is unavoidable. If you don’t have access to a suitable computer of your own, that of a helpful friend or family member will suffice. Alternatively, the technicians at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) will be delighted to assist.

Jan 17, 2022 4:39 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for the reply Lotus. Unfortunately, I've already tried everything on the link you posted.

I even tried wiping it again and just installing a brand new Apple ID account.

Unless I'm missing something, it just looks like Apple has turned off access to the Facetime and iMessage servers from the original iPad Air.

I can login with my Apple id for using Apple Music ok.

I'm logged into my icloud account ok if i try that.

But Facetime and Messages just will not connect.

Really a shame, since the ipad is otherwise in very good shape for such an old device.

Granted, most new apps/games don't work either. but you'd think something as simple as text messaging would be ok?

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

Jan 17, 2022 5:32 AM in response to LotusPilot

Then what could I be missing? It used to connect with no problem. It just stopped working some time ago, not sure exactly when, since we had iphones we didn't worry about it, but i would like to let my daughter use it to facetime now.

From what i've read, it might have something to do with the fact that it doesn't allow 2-factor authentication.

Also, when i go to system settings for Facetime, there is no toggle switch to turn it on/off, it just immediately starts to try to connect to the server, and after about 3 minutes the error message pops up "Unable to connect to Facetime server".

The latest IOS it can run is 12.5.5, maybe that restricts it?

I also noticed on the Apple site, iPad Air isn't listed as a compatible device:

"1. You can use FaceTime on any of these devices on Wi-Fi: iPhone 4 or later, iPad Pro (all models), iPad 2 or later, iPad mini (all models), and iPod touch 4th generation or later (only iPod touch 5th generation or later support FaceTime audio calling).

2. With a cellular data plan, you can also use FaceTime without Wi-Fi on any of these devices: iPhone 4s or later, iPad Pro (all models), and iPad (3rd generation or later)."

Since they don't list the iPad Air on there anymore, i think they no longer support it. At least not in the USA.

Again, if i'm missing something, please advise. I really want this to still work!

Thanks,

Dan

Jan 18, 2022 5:52 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for taking the time to dive into this Lotus!

I appreciate it!

There was nothing to restore on this ipad, so I just did a factory reset.

Did a fresh 12.5.5 install, and created a brand new Apple ID just for testing.

I created a new icloud email account for this ID.

Can you confirm your model# on the ipad Air? Mine is A1474.

And also, are you in the USA?

Could it be possible that Facetime and message work in other countries but is geo-blocked in the USA?

I've gone through every setting i can find in system preferences and nothing makes a difference.

It just gives the little spinning icon for both services and never connects.

To confirm, i can connect to the internet via wifi just fine, and also connected to Apple music fine.

I don't have much faith Apple will help.

Last time i tried to buy a replacement battery for this same ipad they told me that it was impossible, as it has to go back to the factory, but they could sell me a refurbished one for $350 with the trade in. I declined, and took it to a local tech place and they replaced the battery in 30 minutes for $60.

I might give them a call, as I'm at my wits end with this.

Thanks again, i didn't expect anybody to answer a post regarding such an old device.

It certainly is a mystery though.

Cheers!

Dan

iPad Air FaceTime no longer connects.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.