Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update Failed

I am doing a regular iPhone backup and update to the latest software. The backup was completed and so I proceed with the update.

This time, the update is driving me crazy. It failed to update and my phone is in "stranded" mode.

I tried to update again and the latest status is the iPhone shows the Apple logo and the progress bar is 1% and not progressing (even while I am preparing this message).

So I am "dead", can't make any phone call. How to get help?

Oh, and what happen before this is: I select to update iPhone, and responded to the Download and Update option (instead of just downloading)... so the download was in progress and stuck halfway. Beach Ball rolling for a long long time. But I can still use the MBP. After trial and error, I manage to get into Mac > Force Quit and noticed the Finder Is frozen and so I relaunch. I went into the iPhone device on the Finder and the downloading resume from where it stopped before relaunched. So I continue the rest.

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 13, 2022 7:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 3:07 AM

I borrowed a phone and call Apple for help. I was told to press up and down volume button followed by power button and hold. The iPhone restarted (luckily). So the advisor asked me to repeat the step. This time the update went through successfully. (Nothing is changed, same USB cable, same USB port connecting my my one and only MBP).

Fortunately, I am back to work without much downtime. Thanks for reading.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2022 3:07 AM in response to jameshoty

I borrowed a phone and call Apple for help. I was told to press up and down volume button followed by power button and hold. The iPhone restarted (luckily). So the advisor asked me to repeat the step. This time the update went through successfully. (Nothing is changed, same USB cable, same USB port connecting my my one and only MBP).

Fortunately, I am back to work without much downtime. Thanks for reading.

Update Failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.