Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do incoming iMessages show grey?

I recently added a second phone to my lineup, a 12 Mini in addition to my 12 Pro.

Since setting up the new phone, my incoming iMessages show as grey on the Mini.

Other questions on this topic we’re answered with the following:

Green= SMS ✅

Blue= iMessage ✅

Grey= “All incoming texts” ❌

The last bit is not only incorrect it’s nonsensical. The strange thing is that I’ve seen the same answer across a number of forums, Apple & otherwise.

I’ve rebooted & reset the phone, carrier settings and have toggled every service I can—no luck.

All incoming messages, regardless of origin (friends with iphone, friends with Android, etc) all show as grey.

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 8:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 10:04 AM

Hello WATSOBJ,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. Upon review of your post, it seems that you have questions about the different text message colors. We are happy to clarify this for you, so let us help from here! Let’s start by reviewing the following article which may help: What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS?

• If you send a text without using an Apple device or iMessage: the bubble will be green.
  • If you send a text with iMessage: the bubble will be blue.
  • If you receive a text from either situation above: the bubble will be grey.

What you are seeing is correct. Incoming messages of any type will be grey. Please let us know if you have follow up questions, so we can continue assisting. Take care!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2022 10:04 AM in response to WATSOBJ

Hello WATSOBJ,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. Upon review of your post, it seems that you have questions about the different text message colors. We are happy to clarify this for you, so let us help from here! Let’s start by reviewing the following article which may help: What is the difference between iMessage and SMS/MMS?

• If you send a text without using an Apple device or iMessage: the bubble will be green.
  • If you send a text with iMessage: the bubble will be blue.
  • If you receive a text from either situation above: the bubble will be grey.

What you are seeing is correct. Incoming messages of any type will be grey. Please let us know if you have follow up questions, so we can continue assisting. Take care!

Why do incoming iMessages show grey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.