📢 Newsroom Update

Apple Intelligence comes to iPhone, iPad, and Mac starting next month. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus. Learn more >

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple debuts iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iOS 15.2.1 drains battery on iPhone XR:( or it’s just me?

Should the updates drain battery than the older ones or they should improve it?

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 12:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 12:30 PM

Try a force restart

Force restart an iPhone with Face ID

To force restart iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone 11, iPhone 12, or iPhone 13, do the following:

Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the side button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

21 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 16, 2022 12:30 PM in response to VincentMutimuri

Try a force restart

To force restart iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone 11, iPhone 12, or iPhone 13, do the following:

Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the side button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

Jan 19, 2022 7:51 PM in response to VincentMutimuri

I’ve had the same issue. I called Apple today and I feel it was a waste. They want me to download iTunes and remove the iOS and than back up everything. It’s a mess and I have the 13. I just tired force restarting. I’m charging my phone too 100% and I wanna see what happens. Apple states that currently they don’t have a lot of people calling in the issue. I went from needing to charge my brand new phone every 2 maybe 3 days to every day now. This update was a complete bomb and killed me. Brand new phone 100% battery life. And BAM, an update that’s killing me. Apple please fix this!

Jan 16, 2022 1:21 PM in response to VincentMutimuri

Funny you should ask. After updating my XR to 15.2.1 my battery life is greatly improved. I was beginning to think my battery was failing because it would drop below 20% by early afternoon. Since updating that problem has gone away. It’s currently late afternoon here, and my battery is still at 78%, and I’ve ended most days before I charge it overnight above 40%.

Jan 19, 2022 8:10 PM in response to Joker8756

Asking Apple to fix anything here on this user to user only forum is like whispering into the wind. You should take the advice they already gave you. If after doing what they suggested it doesn't improve, then schedule an appointment at your Apple Store Genius Bar and let Apple see your phone.

iOS 15.2.1 has not made the battery on either of our iPhone 13 Pro phones deplete faster at all. It's now after 11 PM, and my phone's battery after being removed from it's charger at 8AM this morning is currently 87%. Battery life on my 13 Pro is simply remarkable.

Jan 20, 2022 7:33 AM in response to Joker8756

I'm not doubting someone may have told you the new iOS drains the battery faster, but I'm telling in no uncertain terms that on my two iPhone 13 Pro, it doesn't drain the battery faster in any way, shape or form. It doesn't drain the battery faster on any iPhone in my office, where everyone also is an iPhone user and is currently updated to iOS 15.2.1.

You are assuming because you and a few others are having an issue, they are universal to all iPhone users. There are millions upon millions of phones running iOS 15.2.1, without battery drain issues. If this was a big and universal issue, this forum, the worlds largest and most visited forum about all things iPhone would have blown up with users complaining. But its not. So you need to determine why you may be having battery drain and not wait for Apple to fix something which isn't universally broken.

Jan 20, 2022 7:46 AM in response to lobsterghost1

First off I’m not assuming anything. Second off I use my phone the same exact way as I have used it since the update. I didn’t do anything different.

I’m telling you this update made it worse. But I’m also using other suggestions before even waiting on Apple. My phone has been off of charge for about an hour and half now and only dropped very little. But the true test will be later today.

let’s see how well things work since I’ve used a suggestion from this thread.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jan 22, 2022 8:38 AM in response to Penangboy168

So far the only fix I’ve found was to:

so far it’s a temp fix but I still find that the battery does drain even for a light user. I still feel that Apple is needing to fix this issue with a new update and bug fix.

Jan 22, 2022 5:18 PM in response to Joker8756

Iphone 15.2 does quickly drain battery life and no, I do not have open apps besides the one I am using and yes, I have cleared my histories. Use to last about 20 hours. Now it is about 9 hours,

I know you are talking about the hardware for XR but I find that it is the 15.0 to 15.2 that besides aggressive and unnecessary changes to iphone functionality, it has significantly made daily battery life shorter and I have restarted it, cleared history and data on all servers and nothing changes the shorter battery life. I have been using iphones for many years with better battery life.

Jan 26, 2022 9:47 AM in response to ringaling

My iPhone Se ( 2nd edition) has suffered appallingly with since the updates. I hardly do anything on it all day ( one phone call,3 texts, 20 minutes radio and a Facebook post today ) and it goes from 100% to 20% in 8 hours. Yesterday I did similar and had to charge it by 3.30pm at work. I have now done a restart. I will chat to Apple and see what they suggest. We only backed it up and rebuilt it a few weeks ago to try and fix something ( wake Hey Siri - no response) and it hasn't. All my older iphones had better battery life. Almost thinking bring back Nokia !

New iOS 15.2.1 drains battery on iPhone XR:( or it’s just me?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.