Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Freezing Constantly

Hey everyone!

I'm running into an issue with iTunes on my iMac (Late 2015). When I open the program, it just freezes and I get the spinning rainbow wheel. That leads to me having to Force Quit iTunes. It's been happening for a few days now, but nothing has changed on my computer. No major upgrades or new software installations.

I've tried resetting the SMC but I've had no luck getting iTunes to work properly. I don't believe that upgrading my OS to Monterey would be a good longterm solution, just because I'm not sure how well it would run on my machine, even though the upgrade is available. I'm currently running Mojave.

Has this happened to any of you at all? Is there any fix I can apply? I miss listening to music as I work. :(

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 4:33 PM

3 replies

Jan 17, 2022 1:08 PM in response to EditorEric

Hello EditorEric,

We see you're having issues with iTunes being unresponsive, and we'd be happy to help.

There are some suggestions for this type of issue here that may be able to assist: If an app on your Mac stops responding, closes unexpectedly, or won’t open

It may also help to try launching it after booting the Mac to safe mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac

To help isolate the issue down, testing the issue in a newly created Admin user can also help: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

This step helps to see if it's a system-wide issue, or a user-specific one.

Cheers.

iTunes Freezing Constantly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.