📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple CarPlay phone call audio issues

Hi all,

I have a relatively newer car, a 2020 Chevy Spark, and the Apple CarPlay does not work correctly when I make phone calls. When my iPhone 13 is connected via CarPlay with a USB cord, people hear my voice as distorted/blurred/crackling which makes it hard or impossible for them to understand me, but I can hear them perfectly fine. If my phone is connected via the car’s Bluetooth only, the call will work perfectly and my voice is just fine to others (but then I can’t use CarPlay for other things, like Google Maps, which I rely heavily on).

I have restarted my phone and car several times, and disconnected and reconnected my phone to the car. My phone software is currently up to date, at 15.2. I’ve tried several different USB cords (all official Apple ones), even bought a new one, and it hasn’t changed anything. Please, any advice on how to fix this, or how to get Apple to include a bug fix in their next update, would be greatly appreciated.

I have seen other users post similar things.

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 6:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2022 1:21 PM

Hey there djcincy66,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having issues with audio quality when making phone calls with CarPlay, and we'd be happy to get you pointed in the right direction.

To get started, you've done some great steps to help troubleshoot the issue already. Going forward, we do notice that there is an update available for your iPhone, and we would recommend starting there. For help with updating, check out this link here: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If still having issues after updating, give any steps listed in this next resource a try that you haven't already gone through: If you need help with CarPlay - Apple Support

If the issue persists after going through the resources above, then we would recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly at this link here: Get Support - Apple

We hope that's able to help.

Cheers!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 17, 2022 1:21 PM in response to djcincy66

Hey there djcincy66,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having issues with audio quality when making phone calls with CarPlay, and we'd be happy to get you pointed in the right direction.

To get started, you've done some great steps to help troubleshoot the issue already. Going forward, we do notice that there is an update available for your iPhone, and we would recommend starting there. For help with updating, check out this link here: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If still having issues after updating, give any steps listed in this next resource a try that you haven't already gone through: If you need help with CarPlay - Apple Support

If the issue persists after going through the resources above, then we would recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly at this link here: Get Support - Apple

We hope that's able to help.

Cheers!

Apple CarPlay phone call audio issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.