Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Do I Log Into My iMac From The Road

How do I log into my iMac at home when I'm on the road? There don't seem to be any comprehensible, up-to-date guides on this site or anywhere on the net.

Less than four months ago I was able to easily log into my iMac from my iPad and download some image files I needed. Fast forward to now, it seems to be impossible to do from my M1 MacBook Pro. What is the deal?

Where are the instructions to perform this simple operation? The App Store also doesn't seem to have any remote desktop software for individuals. There's the $80 Remote Desktop but it looks like it's for IT managers, not regular people.

Do I need third-party software? How am I missing what seems to be an obvious Apple feature?

Thanks

RS

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 6:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 7:15 PM

You would need a third-party software to do this, as far as I know. Apple provides Remote Desktop as an additional purchase but this is only for Macs in a local network.

However, Screens 4 for macOS is probably what you need. The developer's website says: "Control any computer from your Mac from anywhere in the world."

They also have a version for iOS devices here. "Control any computer from your iPhone or iPad from anywhere in the world."

I've not used it and have no idea how it performs, but there are positive reviews on the App store.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 21, 2022 7:15 PM in response to TommyBadger

You would need a third-party software to do this, as far as I know. Apple provides Remote Desktop as an additional purchase but this is only for Macs in a local network.

However, Screens 4 for macOS is probably what you need. The developer's website says: "Control any computer from your Mac from anywhere in the world."

They also have a version for iOS devices here. "Control any computer from your iPhone or iPad from anywhere in the world."

I've not used it and have no idea how it performs, but there are positive reviews on the App store.

How Do I Log Into My iMac From The Road

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.