Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2012 iMac stuck on High Sierra, not accepting OS updates

It's a previously owned 2012 27-inch iMac. Any time I try to bring the machine forward to Catalina, it balks in High Sierra with a dialog that claims the machine is not configured correctly for the update and is incompatible.

Any notion what was done to the machine and how to fix it?

Thank you in advance for any reply.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 27, 2022 11:10 AM

Frank Pryor wrote:

Thank you, den.thed,

Indeed, I cannot eliminate that possibility, but I reviewed the System Report on this machine repeatedly as I've tried to figure out this issue.

I'm sorry I can't share a verbatim report of the dialog box rejecting the upgrade from High Sierra to Mojave, but the machine is currently engaged in critical service and I can't take it offline for a few days.

No problem.

Please check the internal drives format.

While it is possible to install and run High Sierra on a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) formatted internal drive.

It is not possible to Upgrade or Install a later macOS until the drive is formatted APFS.

see > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 27, 2022 11:10 AM in response to Frank Pryor

Frank Pryor wrote:

Thank you, den.thed,

Indeed, I cannot eliminate that possibility, but I reviewed the System Report on this machine repeatedly as I've tried to figure out this issue.

I'm sorry I can't share a verbatim report of the dialog box rejecting the upgrade from High Sierra to Mojave, but the machine is currently engaged in critical service and I can't take it offline for a few days.

No problem.

Please check the internal drives format.

While it is possible to install and run High Sierra on a Mac OS Extended (Journaled) formatted internal drive.

It is not possible to Upgrade or Install a later macOS until the drive is formatted APFS.

see > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208496

Jan 27, 2022 10:30 AM in response to Frank Pryor

That is correct, please follow the instructions for the version of Mac OS (it seems Mojave or Catalina) and please follow them. After reading the instructions on how to upgrade the version of Mac OS you want on your system and you still have a problem then let us know.

Note: If you happen to be running any third party antivirus, cleaning or ANY other third party maintenance apps that could be one source of your problem.

If you continue to have a problem, the next step would be to do a Safe Mode Restart and then re-attempt to download and install Mac OS.

If you still have a problem after doing a Safe Mode Restart then my suggestion would be for you to post an EtreCheck report of your system see we can look it over to see if there are issues that may be causing your problem. If we get to that point we will be happy to provide you instructions on getting EtreCheck and how to post the report.

Jan 27, 2022 10:55 AM in response to Frank Pryor

"I believe I followed the instructions as I was able to upgrade the machine to High Sierra with no problems. Also, the upgrade proceeded without a problem until at the end of the multiple attempts to upgrade from High Sierra to the next OS a dialog popped up stating specifically that it was not possible to complete because the machine was not configured in a way compatible with the upgrade. "

Based on the highlighted comment I'd recommend calling AppleCare ( AppleCare contact Information ) and tell them about the popup and ask for their advice.

Jan 27, 2022 10:13 AM in response to den.thed

Thank you, den.thed,

[Edited by Moderator]

Jan 27, 2022 10:48 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Thank you,

I believe I followed the instructions as I was able to upgrade the machine to High Sierra with no problems. Also, the upgrade proceeded without a problem until at the end of the multiple attempts to upgrade from High Sierra to the next OS a dialog popped up stating specifically that it was not possible to complete because the machine was not configured in a way compatible with the upgrade.

I will try it again when I'm able to take the machine out of service, sometime after next week, which is contingent upon the machine I'm replacing it with being able to run all of my production software.

Please do not close this thread until I've been able to try it again. In the meantime if anyone knows of any configuration conditions that would prevent Mojave from loading on this machine please let me know.

2012 iMac stuck on High Sierra, not accepting OS updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.