Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SMB Printing Breaks in 12.2

I just updated my Mac to 12.2 and noticed that all of my SMB printers stopped working. They now get stuck at the status "Ready to print". They all worked when I was on 12.0.1. Did Apple change anything in the latest update regarding the printnightmare vulnerability? I'm not seeing too much in release notes. Thanks all.

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 3, 2022 8:02 AM

Change device URIs from "smb://printserver/print_queue"

to

smb://printserver/print_queue?encryption=no

CLI:

lpadmin […] -v 'smb://printserver/print_queue?encryption=no'

You could also modify your installed printers on the CUPS webinterface which has to be activated (in Terminal.app) before:

cupsctl WebInterface=yes

Open http://localhost:631/printers/ in your browser.

Then modify the "Connection" of your installed printers by adding "?encryption=no" at the end of the URI (see above); choose "Windows printer via spoolss" to modify existing SMB printer settings.

Similar questions

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 3, 2022 8:02 AM in response to CyberWeasel08

Change device URIs from "smb://printserver/print_queue"

to

smb://printserver/print_queue?encryption=no

CLI:

lpadmin […] -v 'smb://printserver/print_queue?encryption=no'

You could also modify your installed printers on the CUPS webinterface which has to be activated (in Terminal.app) before:

cupsctl WebInterface=yes

Open http://localhost:631/printers/ in your browser.

Then modify the "Connection" of your installed printers by adding "?encryption=no" at the end of the URI (see above); choose "Windows printer via spoolss" to modify existing SMB printer settings.

Jan 29, 2022 11:01 AM in response to CyberWeasel08

Hey there, CyberWeasel08!

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities! If we understand correctly, you're having trouble printing from your Mac after the latest macOS update. We'd like to help point you in the right direction.

If you haven't already, we recommend using the troubleshooting steps in the following support article to help with printer related issues:

Solve printing problems on Mac - Apple Support

"If you still can’t print, reset the printing system."

Feel free to reply with more details if this persists.

Take care!

Feb 22, 2022 7:06 AM in response to Reedemeyer

I had a similar problem. I was using the wrong variable to connect the printer. it's solved for me

Before I use a command :

lpadmin -p "$PRINTQ" -E -v "$PRINTV" -P "$RESPPD" -o auth-info-required=username,password

I changed the following command at the end

lpadmin -p "$PRINTQ" -E -v "$PRINTV" -P "$RESPPD" -o auth-info-required=negotiate

SMB Printing Breaks in 12.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.