Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing (network printer at work) not working after Monterey-upgrade

After upgrading to osx monterey (12.2.1) on a macbook Air 13-inch early 2015, printing is no longer working. This is at work, and we have networked printers. I can install the driver, and my macbook are in contact with the printer-server (correct name and address for printer), but when I try to print, the print-dialogue says "connecting to printer", but nothing happens. Then the connecting-process just stops. I have tried deleting, reinstalling, resetting printer-system, deleting printer-setup from library/printers ++. I have the impression that monterey have caused a lot of printing issues... Are there any solution to this? Apple should really sort this out in an update

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 5:28 AM

Thank you for the information.

Without knowing details about the print server, it is difficult to comment. However, it is interesting to note that a Canon iR-ADV C5550i is listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support as a model with support for the driverless AirPrint technology. An AirPrint-enabled printer is compatible with macOS (Monterey), provided that the printer and the computer are connected to the same network. AirPrint would allow printing without having to install additional drivers on a computer.

Normally, this means a connection to the same Wi-Fi router, either wirelessly or via Ethernet to one of the LAN ports. The situation in a company network can be different with different subnets, et cetera. Xerox (!) has a white paper Enabling Apple® AirPrint®with Your Xerox®AltaLink®Multifunction Printer (https://www.office.xerox.com/latest/XOGWP-18U.PDF). Parts of this document could possibly be of some interest in this case as well.

Otherwise, the C5550i driver downloads from Canon show up to 12.0.1 only.

https://www.canon-europe.com/support/products/imagerunner/imagerunner-advance-c5550i.html?type=drivers&language=en&os=macos%2012%20(monterey)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2022 5:28 AM in response to gunstein345

Thank you for the information.

Without knowing details about the print server, it is difficult to comment. However, it is interesting to note that a Canon iR-ADV C5550i is listed in About AirPrint - Apple Support as a model with support for the driverless AirPrint technology. An AirPrint-enabled printer is compatible with macOS (Monterey), provided that the printer and the computer are connected to the same network. AirPrint would allow printing without having to install additional drivers on a computer.

Normally, this means a connection to the same Wi-Fi router, either wirelessly or via Ethernet to one of the LAN ports. The situation in a company network can be different with different subnets, et cetera. Xerox (!) has a white paper Enabling Apple® AirPrint®with Your Xerox®AltaLink®Multifunction Printer (https://www.office.xerox.com/latest/XOGWP-18U.PDF). Parts of this document could possibly be of some interest in this case as well.

Otherwise, the C5550i driver downloads from Canon show up to 12.0.1 only.

https://www.canon-europe.com/support/products/imagerunner/imagerunner-advance-c5550i.html?type=drivers&language=en&os=macos%2012%20(monterey)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Apr 6, 2022 10:52 AM in response to gunstein345

I have had the same issue after finally upgrading from Mojave where remote printing worked perfectly.

I had upgraded to Monterey, but had so many OS issues, I erased my hard drive, installed Catalina, reset printing preferences, installed the correct CUPS drivers for my Brother laser monochrome printer, yet the problem persists.

The printer is old, so I'm wondering whether it's a printer issue. When I try to print over our network (wifi), no matter what I do, I get the message "Stopped on server - Sending data to printer".

The Brother printer is connected by USB to an iMac using Catalina and no queue shows up.

Apr 29, 2022 9:50 AM in response to gunstein345

Really appreciate you mentioning the Monterey upgrade relating to the network printing issue. My remote wifi-shared MacBook which used to be able to print remotely when using Mojave now has the latest Monterey update; unfortunately, the USB-connected shared iMac-to-Brother printer cannot upgrade beyond Catalina due to the age of the computer.

I am now getting a different message on the remote MacBook: it keeps trying to "find" the printer but printer shows "offline". I'm wondering if it is the age of the iMac as well as the age of the Brother laser printer that are now the hiccups.

Printing (network printer at work) not working after Monterey-upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.