Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mobile documents folder - sync

I stopped syncing iCloud "Desktop & Documents Folder" to my Mac, but all of my iCloud files are still being stored Library/Mobile Documents. I've tried deleting the folder but it will consistently rebuild. I cannot access this folder, but it matches the size of my iCloud files exactly. Since I'm storing more on iCloud than the size of my local disk, this hidden folder grows in size until my local disk is totally full. It is incredibly frustrating. Any help is greatly appreciated. Early 2015 MBP (Mojave 10.14.6)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 2:20 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 30, 2022 7:57 AM in response to ReturnOfTheMac14

Hi ReturnOfTheMac14,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. It sounds like you're having an issue with iCloud storage. We're happy to provide some information to assist.

"What happens when you turn off Desktop and Documents

When you turn off Desktop & Documents Folders, your files stay in iCloud Drive and a new Desktop and Documents folder is created on your Mac in the home folder. You can move files from iCloud Drive to your Mac as you need them, or select all of your files and drag them to the place you want to keep them."

The article here Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive has this information, and additional details.

If you used iCloud Drive with any other device, test deleting the files from those devices as well. Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch as well as the steps in the guide here: Permanently remove deleted files on iCloud.com

However, the previous posts below suggest some helpful steps as well.

Delete Mobile Documents directories - Nijnte Answer

Can I delete "Mobile Documents"

We'd also recommend attempting to optimize the storage to clear additional storage space. Optimize storage space on your Mac

If you continue to have any issues, or need further assistance reach out to Apple Support directly.

Contact Apple Support

Best!

Jan 30, 2022 8:34 AM in response to ReturnOfTheMac14

If you turned off iCloud for Documents and Desktop, it created the Archive ICloud file on home drive . ICloud shows no documents on it.

It will prompt the items from this desktop and the documents folder are available in iCloud Drive , to remove items from iCloud Drive , move them to your desktop and documents folder on this Mac , click on show in finder .

Again open system preferences > iCloud > iCloud Drive > the box of desktops and documents box is unchecked , tap over the box to get it rechecked , a circle rotates setting up the box gets checked .

You will notice a folder is created literally on the desktop , tap it a pop up window appears the items on this desktop on this Mac have been moved into a new folder called “ Desktops - Apples Mac book …( the name of Mac will be written in the existing desktop folder in iCloud Drive , you can combine the contents of these folders any time , click on show in finder .

Right click on the folder created on the Mac and move to trash , restart the Mac and empty the trash , but again the documents are placed in a right place in iCloud Drive as well in iCloud server .

https://support.apple.com/en-in/guide/mac-help/mchlp1774/10.14/mac/10.14

By unchecking the box of desktops and documents - the files and documents created are invisible temporarily both in iCloud Drive and www.icloud.com but they are not deleted from the server and still occupying the space , you can check the box and use get info and delete the desired documents any where from iCloud Drive or iCloud.com and restart the Mac and empty the trash .

See a thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251789307

mobile documents folder - sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.