📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch Bar Control Strip - How do I quickly switch from app controls back to the default set?

I'm on a MacBook Pro, 15-inch 2017 running Monterey. Here are my current keyboard settings:

I'm pretty sure this is a stupid question, but I feel like all of a sudden, I can't find my way back to the default set on my Touch Bar (I realized I couldn't find it when I went to lessen the brightness). Is there not a quick way to either tap to access the default set rather than viewing the app controls, or at least a way to click away from an app so that the default set shows up again? I feel like I'm in an endless loop of app controls (when I minimize or click away from Safari, for example, Finder is there waiting for me, ha). For each set of app controls, I have an escape key (which may not work?) on the far left, but there's no "X" icon or anything that seems to let me collapse what I see and perhaps return to the default set.

Anyone have advice for a Touch Bar novice?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 8:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2022 9:35 PM

devinmd wrote:

Well I've answered my own question... would be sweet if I could delete my above post. Cheers, everyone. :)

ref:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/customize-the-touch-bar-mchl5a63b060/mac

for comparison only, I have never had an issue with this set up:

Similar questions

2 replies

Touch Bar Control Strip - How do I quickly switch from app controls back to the default set?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.