Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Icloud music not syncing changes from Mac

I have apple music and have an extensive music library with playlists and folders. I have a full subscription, have same apple ID on both devices, full software updates, and have signed in/out multiple times.

When I make any changes on my mac, they do NOT sync over to my iPhone. However....if I make changes on my phone or on the apple music browser, those changes immediately sync. It is like something is preventing the changes from being saved ONLY if I make the changes via the Mac music app. Which is.....a big problem, because you can't move playlists/folders around in the phone app.

Would appreciate any help with this. I have tried the following:

• restarting both devices
  • toggling sync on both devices
  • signing out/in of cloud on both devices
  • most updated versions of software on both devices
  • tried logging into mac in safe mode, issue persists
  • called customer service and spent 3 hours with no luck

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 7:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 3:25 PM

I'm having similar problems. music.apple.com on the web, Music on iOS, and Music on iPadOS are all communicating fine. However, the Apple Music app on macOS Monterey 12.2 is broken. I especially note that playlist *folders* created or deleted on the Apple Music app on macOS do not sync anywhere else. I think this is a problem that started when Apple changed up quite a bit behind the scenes on the new Apple Music app in macOS 12.2. They are relying on AppKit now for their internal programming and it has messed things up.

I think we're just going to have to wait?

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2022 3:25 PM in response to spenser208

I'm having similar problems. music.apple.com on the web, Music on iOS, and Music on iPadOS are all communicating fine. However, the Apple Music app on macOS Monterey 12.2 is broken. I especially note that playlist *folders* created or deleted on the Apple Music app on macOS do not sync anywhere else. I think this is a problem that started when Apple changed up quite a bit behind the scenes on the new Apple Music app in macOS 12.2. They are relying on AppKit now for their internal programming and it has messed things up.

I think we're just going to have to wait?

Feb 1, 2022 8:45 AM in response to spenser208

After looking at some other posts, I was able to fix this (of course I didn't find those until AFTER posting my question)

First, I closed the music app on my phone AND shut my phone off. I was getting an error that a device was signed in until I did this.

Then, on my mac, I opened the music app while holding option and manually selected the music file library where my current music is. I also cleared out the other random folders that were not useful.

Then I rebooted everything, and it works as it should now. I suspect the multiple libraries was throwing something off

Feb 1, 2022 7:42 PM in response to tortugonal

It's a problem that actually started in 12.1. Many hoped it would be fixed in 12.2 but alas, it was not the case. You can find many posts in this forum with the problem and also some work-arounds that seem to work for a few people (like closing all apps, then opening only Music on App and then synching with the cloud).

For me personally it works at random. Most of the time it doesn't work but one of 100 I get lucky and it synchs the changes from the Mac to the cloud...

Icloud music not syncing changes from Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.