Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

EtreCheck Report - What does it mean?

My 2017 MacBook Pro has been kernel panicking repeatedly for the past few days. I ran EtreCheck and got a report but I have no idea what it means or how to interpret it. Please help.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 1:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 5:05 PM

I've never seen a Kernel Panic with that particular error.

The EA driver is for EA's Origin service which is EA's proprietary app & service to purchase and manage assets to EA published apps (usually games). EA sometimes requires this even when a game/app is purchased elsewhere. It is quite annoying. If you don't have any EA software installed, then you should uninstall the EA/Origin app by following EA's instructions. It is possible this driver could be causing the problem since some types of these apps are very intrusive, but I cannot say for certain. This is why I refuse to install games or any proprietary software which requires license keys as they usually do odd unpredictable things to your computer/device. They mess with my computer in unknown ways even though I'm a legit paying customer so I refuse to be treated & punished as a thief as I do not want my computer crippled in unknown ways (this was really bad on Windows systems for years starting around 2005+). So I would have a huge distrust of this EA/Origin app if you are sure you are not using any of their apps/games (perhaps I'm overly paranoid, but these publishers have shown they don't care about users in my experience).

FYI, your SSD has less than 20GB of free storage space at the time EtreCheck was run. You want to make sure to keep at least 20GB of free storage space available for the normal operation of macOS. Even with 20GB free, apps will eat up some of that 20GB storage during normal use plus when apps or even macOS downloads & installs updates, even more of that 20GB will be used temporarily.

Run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

You should have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to run their service diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. Have them run all their specialized diagnostics such as "Graphics & Display" tests, and ASD (EFI + OS) tests if the basic MRI test does not detect any issues. Normally Apple will only run the MRI to push people out the door. Unless a diagnostic reports a problem, Apple will likely want you to perform a clean install of macOS.

You also have a 2017 non-touchbar model. You should definitely check to see whether your laptop qualifies for Apple's free SSD and Battery repair programs:

https://support.apple.com/13-inch-macbook-pro-solid-state-drive-service

https://support.apple.com/13inch-macbookpro-battery-replacement

Your battery is nearing 1,000 charge cycles so it will need to be replaced in the near future (perhaps a year or so depending how often you use the battery). If your laptop qualifies for the free Battery repair program you will get a brand new battery (and Top Case/Keyboard Assembly with it). However, only Apple or an AASP will be able to tell if the laptop qualifies for either the SSD or Battery repair programs since Apple only notifies the tech when they create a repair order (yes, Apple even hides details from their own service techs).

FYI, here is the current publicly acknowledged free repair programs for various Apple products (some products like your laptop may have multiple programs):

https://support.apple.com/service-programs

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 1, 2022 5:05 PM in response to jeanie278

I've never seen a Kernel Panic with that particular error.

The EA driver is for EA's Origin service which is EA's proprietary app & service to purchase and manage assets to EA published apps (usually games). EA sometimes requires this even when a game/app is purchased elsewhere. It is quite annoying. If you don't have any EA software installed, then you should uninstall the EA/Origin app by following EA's instructions. It is possible this driver could be causing the problem since some types of these apps are very intrusive, but I cannot say for certain. This is why I refuse to install games or any proprietary software which requires license keys as they usually do odd unpredictable things to your computer/device. They mess with my computer in unknown ways even though I'm a legit paying customer so I refuse to be treated & punished as a thief as I do not want my computer crippled in unknown ways (this was really bad on Windows systems for years starting around 2005+). So I would have a huge distrust of this EA/Origin app if you are sure you are not using any of their apps/games (perhaps I'm overly paranoid, but these publishers have shown they don't care about users in my experience).

FYI, your SSD has less than 20GB of free storage space at the time EtreCheck was run. You want to make sure to keep at least 20GB of free storage space available for the normal operation of macOS. Even with 20GB free, apps will eat up some of that 20GB storage during normal use plus when apps or even macOS downloads & installs updates, even more of that 20GB will be used temporarily.

Run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

You should have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to run their service diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected. Have them run all their specialized diagnostics such as "Graphics & Display" tests, and ASD (EFI + OS) tests if the basic MRI test does not detect any issues. Normally Apple will only run the MRI to push people out the door. Unless a diagnostic reports a problem, Apple will likely want you to perform a clean install of macOS.

You also have a 2017 non-touchbar model. You should definitely check to see whether your laptop qualifies for Apple's free SSD and Battery repair programs:

https://support.apple.com/13-inch-macbook-pro-solid-state-drive-service

https://support.apple.com/13inch-macbookpro-battery-replacement

Your battery is nearing 1,000 charge cycles so it will need to be replaced in the near future (perhaps a year or so depending how often you use the battery). If your laptop qualifies for the free Battery repair program you will get a brand new battery (and Top Case/Keyboard Assembly with it). However, only Apple or an AASP will be able to tell if the laptop qualifies for either the SSD or Battery repair programs since Apple only notifies the tech when they create a repair order (yes, Apple even hides details from their own service techs).

FYI, here is the current publicly acknowledged free repair programs for various Apple products (some products like your laptop may have multiple programs):

https://support.apple.com/service-programs

EtreCheck Report - What does it mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.