Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TV app on Mac not syncing Home Videos with TV app on iPhone

Running Monterey 12.1 on my 2019 MacBook Pro 16", and iOS 15.3 on my iPhone Xs Max.

Both devices are signed into iCloud using the same account, and both devices have everything synced with iCloud.

In the TV app on my Mac, there was no Home Videos folder, only Movies, TV Shows, etc.

I dragged 200+ videos (MP4, MOV, even 3G2 files) from a Finder folder on my Mac into the TV app on my Mac.

It created a Home Videos folder, and all the videos were successfully added to this folder on the Mac.

On the iPhone, the TV app has a Home Videos folder, and it contained about 80 OTHER videos from years ago, with different filenames.

The videos on the Mac didn't sync to the iPhone, and the videos on the iPhone didn't sync to the Mac.

Thoughts on how to force the synchronization? TIA.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 2:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 5:49 PM

SOLVED [ALTHOUGH NOT IN A WAY THAT MOST USERS WOULD LIKE, AS APPLE LIMITS AUTOMATIC SYNC; SEE BELOW]

According to Apple Customer Support, the TV app only syncs purchased Movies and TV shows between devices. Other items must be manually added.

To sync Home Videos, for example, you must:

• Connect your iPhone or iPad to your Mac
  • Open Finder on Mac
  • In Finder, select your iPhone or iPad from the Locations in the lower left-hand navigation pane
  • Select Movies in the top row
  • Select Sync movies onto [devicename]
  • Select the items on your Mac you would like to sync to your iPhone or iPad (or select all, or select Playlists)
  • (Note: you cannot select items on your iPhone or iPad to sync to your Mac; this is a one-way sync)
  • Click Sync or Apply

Unfortunately, Apple requires this clumsy manual sync, rather than adding a control under iOS iCloud Settings or TV app settings, and under Mac System Preferences or TV app preferences. And it is unidirectional rather than bidirectional, so there is no way to sync anything you add to your iOS device to your Mac.

Related: if you use iCloud Music Library, you cannot sync songs from your Mac to your iOS device (or vice-versa). If you want to download songs to your iOS device, you must open the Music app on that device, then select Library in the bottom nav, and then download each song individually. Argh. Another very poor product design choice. And easy to solve: They could allow selective sync from the Mac using a list with checkboxes just like in Movies as described above. And on the iOS device, they could create a mode allowing you to select multiple songs and then do multiple downloads all at once.

Bottom line: Yes, you can muscle your way through this. But, as very few people actually do a manual sync, instead relying on iCloud, this should all really be in the iCloud settings or app-specific settings.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2022 5:49 PM in response to mevans567

SOLVED [ALTHOUGH NOT IN A WAY THAT MOST USERS WOULD LIKE, AS APPLE LIMITS AUTOMATIC SYNC; SEE BELOW]

According to Apple Customer Support, the TV app only syncs purchased Movies and TV shows between devices. Other items must be manually added.

To sync Home Videos, for example, you must:

• Connect your iPhone or iPad to your Mac
  • Open Finder on Mac
  • In Finder, select your iPhone or iPad from the Locations in the lower left-hand navigation pane
  • Select Movies in the top row
  • Select Sync movies onto [devicename]
  • Select the items on your Mac you would like to sync to your iPhone or iPad (or select all, or select Playlists)
  • (Note: you cannot select items on your iPhone or iPad to sync to your Mac; this is a one-way sync)
  • Click Sync or Apply

Unfortunately, Apple requires this clumsy manual sync, rather than adding a control under iOS iCloud Settings or TV app settings, and under Mac System Preferences or TV app preferences. And it is unidirectional rather than bidirectional, so there is no way to sync anything you add to your iOS device to your Mac.

Related: if you use iCloud Music Library, you cannot sync songs from your Mac to your iOS device (or vice-versa). If you want to download songs to your iOS device, you must open the Music app on that device, then select Library in the bottom nav, and then download each song individually. Argh. Another very poor product design choice. And easy to solve: They could allow selective sync from the Mac using a list with checkboxes just like in Movies as described above. And on the iOS device, they could create a mode allowing you to select multiple songs and then do multiple downloads all at once.

Bottom line: Yes, you can muscle your way through this. But, as very few people actually do a manual sync, instead relying on iCloud, this should all really be in the iCloud settings or app-specific settings.

Feb 9, 2022 11:40 AM in response to mevans567

Hi mevans567,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. We understand you have some questions about accessing your content across all your devices. We're happy to help.

Are you able to use Home Sharing and see all your movies? See more on that here: Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices

If that doesn't work for you, reach out directly here: Contact Apple Support

Thanks

Feb 9, 2022 3:30 PM in response to Stevi_S

@Stevi_S, yes, I can see all my movies in the TV app on my iPhone under the Library > [Username's] Library item. (i.e., the one listed when I have selected the Library icon in the bottom-row navigation, which is the final item in the Library list that includes Movies, Home Videos, Family Sharing, Downloaded, Genres, and [Username's] Library).

However, I expect them to appear in the Library > Home Videos item.

If they only appear when I am on the same WiFi network as my MBP, and that MBP has to be turned on, that would be very limiting.

The question is, how can I get Home Videos on the Mac TV app to sync with Home Videos on the iPhone TV app?

TV app on Mac not syncing Home Videos with TV app on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.