Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K WIFI connection to WIFI extender

Hi,

I have a main router (with 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz) and WIFI extender (2.4Ghz only) at 2 different locations. The WIFI extender is located near to Apple TV and to my Tv (which also have internet features). Upon checking on the router app, I found that the Apple TV is connected router's 5Ghz despite it's located far from The Apple TV & 5Ghz signal should not strong enough to reach for such distance. However, my Sony Tv able to connect to the 2.4Ghz signal from the WIFI extender which located near it & the Apple TV as well. This situation only happening now and I have no idea how. I did restart the Apple TV, router & the WIFI extender & even relogin the WIFI on the Apple TV but it still keep connecting 5GHz from router which is located far away causing bad video streaming. Anyone have any clue what is the issue is ?

Thanks.

Posted on Feb 10, 2022 7:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 12:57 AM

Hi Thana,

your issue is AppleTV is connecting to your 5G network but you want it to connect to your 2.4G network? And I assume you are seeing both the 5G and 2.4G network options in your AppleTV’s Wi-Fi settings?

if I have that correct, have you tried ‘forget network’ option in the AppleTV’s Wi-Fi settings? Once forgotten it should allow you to select only the 2.4G.

From Apple Support document AppleTV guide: “On the Apple TV menu, go to Settings > Network > Wi-Fi. Select your current Wi-Fi network and click Forget Network. Press Menu or the Back button on your Apple TV Remote. Then select Network again and select your Wi-Fi network to connect.”

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2022 12:57 AM in response to thana8106

Hi Thana,

your issue is AppleTV is connecting to your 5G network but you want it to connect to your 2.4G network? And I assume you are seeing both the 5G and 2.4G network options in your AppleTV’s Wi-Fi settings?

if I have that correct, have you tried ‘forget network’ option in the AppleTV’s Wi-Fi settings? Once forgotten it should allow you to select only the 2.4G.

From Apple Support document AppleTV guide: “On the Apple TV menu, go to Settings > Network > Wi-Fi. Select your current Wi-Fi network and click Forget Network. Press Menu or the Back button on your Apple TV Remote. Then select Network again and select your Wi-Fi network to connect.”

Apple TV 4K WIFI connection to WIFI extender

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.