Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to switch to another mail service provider on Mac Mail app?

I have configured an exchange mail server account on the Mail app on my Mac.

We are planning to switch to another mail server, which is not an exchange service but simply works with IMAP.

If I change the configuration of existing account with new server details on my Mail app, what happens:

• Due to IMAP, would the Mail app remove the existing old emails from Mail app?
  • New configuration would not have Calendar and Contact; so what will happen to old Meetings and Contacts data?

If Mail app will remove the old server data, is there a way to back them up to Mac Mail app; so that I can always access within the same account?

Otherwise, do I have to create another account on my Mail app, so new one each time I change the mail service provider?

I kindly ask for attention of @Shootist007 and @sberman for answers.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 2:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 6:54 AM

Just create/add a new account to Apple Mail:

Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Regarding your old account you will likely have to export them or something to save them since I would guess that after some time after not using the old account, your messages will be removed from the servers and it IMAP they will likely disappear from the Mac. You have to check with your email provider of what to do with old emails messages.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2022 6:54 AM in response to umut_gulac

Just create/add a new account to Apple Mail:

Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Regarding your old account you will likely have to export them or something to save them since I would guess that after some time after not using the old account, your messages will be removed from the servers and it IMAP they will likely disappear from the Mac. You have to check with your email provider of what to do with old emails messages.

Feb 16, 2022 1:20 PM in response to umut_gulac

Ok, in that case I would try the following:

Create a new mailbox (Mailbox > New Mailbox). In the resulting dialog box, select "On My Mac" as the Location.

This will create a local mailbox whose contents will be stored on your Mac.

You can add (create) mailboxes within this mailbox to match each folder you may have in your Exchange account/mailbox.

Then copy emails from your existing Exchange mailbox folders to the new mailbox folders that are "On My Mac."

Try this on a single folder and just a few emails to verify that it works properly. If you are satisfied with the results, then copy everything you want to keep.

Feb 15, 2022 6:23 AM in response to umut_gulac

Since your organization is retaining the same domain & email addresses (just changing hosts), it would be best if your organization could arrange with the new provider to migrate all mail account(s) from your current service provider to the new platform. Server- based migration would preserve everyone's folders & emails. Users would only have to modify the account settings in their email client to point to the new server once migration is complete.

Feb 17, 2022 3:42 AM in response to MartinR

Thanks Martin, I agree that I should copy to a local Mailbox and then remove the old account to run the new account in peace.

However, Mac Mail App is doing Copy to Mailbox operation too slow. Mail App do not indicate the completeness of progress, and it looks like downloading messages from old account.

Is there a way to export and import all folders in old account to a local mailbox bulk offline?

Feb 17, 2022 5:46 AM in response to umut_gulac

Exchange is an IMAP-based mail server, so the mails reside on the server.

You could try exporting your Exchange folders to .mbox files. Do them one at a time, as .mbox does not support subfolders. In the Mail app, select a folder, then do Mailbox > Export Mailbox. Select a location and then click Choose. There is no guarantee that it will be any faster than the copying I suggested earlier.

How to switch to another mail service provider on Mac Mail app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.