Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't you sync music on itunes while syncing your library with Apple Music?

I just spent more than hour trying to figure out why iTunes on my computer wouldn't show my music when I tried to sync my phone. Finally figured out that I had to turn off library sync from Apple Music. When I turned it off and plugged my phone back in, the option to sync my music was back. Does anyone know why that happens? Why does "Sync Library" bar you from syncing music from your computer to your phone?

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 5:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2022 7:30 PM

When you enable Sync Library AKA iCloud Music Library in both your computer and your device then they can sync with each other wirelessly and local syncing becomes redundant. All of your qualifying songs and playlists are available everywhere, and those that are not physically stored on the computer or device can be streamed or downloaded on demand. Local syncing can only transfer locally stored files, and cannot transfer DRM protected Apple Music content.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2022 7:30 PM in response to risefromtheashes

When you enable Sync Library AKA iCloud Music Library in both your computer and your device then they can sync with each other wirelessly and local syncing becomes redundant. All of your qualifying songs and playlists are available everywhere, and those that are not physically stored on the computer or device can be streamed or downloaded on demand. Local syncing can only transfer locally stored files, and cannot transfer DRM protected Apple Music content.

tt2

Why can't you sync music on itunes while syncing your library with Apple Music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.