You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fn + function key does not use special features when the 'Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys' box is ticked.

I have checked the 'Use F1, F2 etc. keys as standard function keys' box in Keyboard settings. This is because on some programmes, I need to use programme-specific functions much more frequently than the predefined Apple ones.

Underneath it says 'When this option is selected, press the fn key to use the special features printed on each key'. This does not work - using fn + F4, for example, doesn't open the search bar. I'm not sure why this is the case. Reverting the settings (i.e. unticking the box) and doing fn + F4 triggers the programme function as expected so it's not an issue with the keyboard.

Wondering if anyone has experienced this or knows a solution? Thanks in advance for any help!

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 3:12 AM

8 replies

Feb 21, 2022 4:44 AM in response to sober_machine

Same issues. fn + f4, fn + f5, fn + f6 don't work when the 'Use F1, F2 etc. keys as standard function keys' box in Keyboard settings is checked, it reproduced only for this combinations, couse other combination work good. Also all combination like fn + f.. work when 'Use F1, F2 etc. keys as standard function keys' box in Keyboard settings is unchecked

Feb 20, 2022 9:40 AM in response to sober_machine

sober_machine wrote:

Every programme. The issue is with fn + a function key not triggering a special function when the box is ticked (even though it says it should), not with a particular programme.

Have you tried making changes to your Keyboard preferences to suit you better?

>System Preferences>Keyboard>Keyboard

How to use the function keys on your Mac - Apple Support

Use the function keys on MacBook Pro with Touch Bar ...

Feb 20, 2022 9:31 AM in response to sober_machine

sober_machine wrote:

I have checked the 'Use F1, F2 etc. keys as standard function keys' box in Keyboard settings. This is because on some programmes, I need to use programme-specific functions much more frequently than the predefined Apple ones.

Underneath it says 'When this option is selected, press the fn key to use the special features printed on each key'. This does not work - using fn + F4, for example, doesn't open the search bar. I'm not sure why this is the case. Reverting the settings (i.e. unticking the box) and doing fn + F4 triggers the programme function as expected so it's not an issue with the keyboard.

Wondering if anyone has experienced this or knows a solution? Thanks in advance for any help!

Maybe it would help clarify the issue if you state— what programs...

what exact Mac?

what macOS?

internal keyboard or external keyboard?

what keyboard localization you are using?

Fn + function key does not use special features when the 'Use F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys' box is ticked.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.