Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is 16GB RAM really enough on new 24" iMac?

I'm looking to replace a 2017 21.5" iMac that had 32 GB RAM along with a 1TB Fusion Drive (and Intel processor) with one of the new 24" iMac.

But the new iMac's have a max of 15 GB RAM (unified memory). Is that really enough, as it would be only half the memory of the old iMac?

Or does the faster (M1) processor and all-SSD drive somehow compensate for the Apple's otherwise deplorable degradation of available memory?

Aside from general usage (word processing web browsing), the primary use if for non-shooter gaming (e.g., for Civilization V).

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 7:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2022 9:35 AM

rkaufmann87 wrote:

I think you are mistaken, no 2012-2021 21.5" iMacs supported 32 GB of RAM.

I don't mean to quibble but plenty of 21.5" iMacs support 32GB or more. The RAM is non user-accessible but that doesn't mean a user or an Authorized Apple Service Provider can't add it.

Similar questions

13 replies

Feb 21, 2022 11:47 AM in response to murrayE

Understandable.

A definitive answer to your question is not possible, but I agree 16 GB should certainly be sufficient. The day will come when that will no longer be the case, but it's likely to be years from now, when you find yourself wanting to do things with that Mac that no one can even envision yet.

The new M1 Macs are faster, but is there something you can't do with the iMac you have now?

Is 16GB RAM really enough on new 24" iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.