Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Continue Watching

Is there a way to stop other apps from opening a tv show? Happens frequently where an entire show is purchased in iTunes (so it’s not split into the different season) then when trying to start the next episode, it will try to continue the show in another app. Like trying to watch Parks and Rec or the Office and it wants to continue in Peacock instead of through the library.

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 4:34 PM

2 replies

Feb 23, 2022 7:29 PM in response to RockyMtnGuy28

Hi Rocky, apologies as I don't quite know exactly what you're encountering. I tried replicating on my own setup but couldn't.

Maybe this will help? It is Apple Support's write up on watching iTunes content in the AppleTV app on your AppleTV box.

Store in the Apple TV app - Apple Support (IN)

"Once you find something you want to watch, you can purchase it, rent it (if it’s a movie), or choose how to watch it if it’s available on multiple channels and apps. If it’s available to start playing immediately, you’ll get the default channel or app that lets you watch it in the highest-quality version."

Feb 24, 2022 2:07 AM in response to RockyMtnGuy28

The issue may be due to episode numbering, and the differences for that between content providers. If the numerical “next” episode number for the automated system is not found in the purchased content list, but for something available on a different network, then the setting for preferred content provider may switch.

If you notice this happening, then you may start the intended next episode from your library, instead of from Up Next. Then the setting for preferred content provider will be updated accordingly.

Alternatively, check the How to Watch setting on a show’s Details page. That is where the preferred content provider can be changed.

Apple TV Continue Watching

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.