Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

(New) iPod Nano 7th Gen - Recently Fresh Unboxed - Turns Off After Unplugging Device

Hi, long time Apple products user here.

Looking into starting running again here soon, so I bought a brand new iPod Nano 7th gen. I bought it 3rd party obviously and nothing gives any negative impressions of the device. Everything was still wrapped as if the product was back from 2014-2015 (2022 now).

I'm having similar problems as other users had back in the day regarding the device turning off and not powering back on as soon as I unplug the device. The exact same problem that I am having is also from this post: my ipod nano 7th gen only turns on when p… - Apple Community

While plugged in, everything is flawless. Battery claims it is fully charged, buttons, movements, and sound quality is perfect. Connects to iTunes just fine, synced music and am currently listening. I have let and left charging for about 10-20 minutes now and the moment I go to unplug the device, it instantly turns off. As soon as I plug it back in, it returns to the language setting like the device has never been used before. Noting that the music and everything else is still on the device.

I've already tried resetting the device and the problem still persists. Been looking around at other forums and questions and even hard resetting the iPod doesn't bring up the logo unless it's plugged in, however the device will still turn off if I unplug it.

Is there any other suggestions anyone can give me, or do I need to stop troubleshooting it and take it an an Apple Store?

Regards,

Avizzo/Drew

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 12:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 6:20 AM

Hello Avizzo/Drew,

Lithium-ion batteries such as these used in almost all iPod models, such as your iPod Nano 7th Gen, is subject to degradation over time, meaning that they hold less and less electrical energy with a full charge.

With normal use circumstances, such as recharging every few days, the battery wouldn't degrade very soon.

However, one thing will damage your battery irreversibly and quickly, which is over-discharging your battery and leaving it discharged for long. This can occur if a device is left playing until the battery depletes, and the owner forgets to recharge the battery for some days, or it could be caused by the battery's self-drain properties.

Li-ion batteries deplete themselves at a very low rate, so low that most products don't bother with self-drain, and the customer gets the product just fine within a few months of manufacturing. Buying a 7-year old item is different, though, because the time your iPod sits in the box is so long that the battery has long depleted by itself and it is suffering deep degradation before you even have the chance of powering it up. Chances are that the battery is completely dead in your iPod, and your iPod wouldn't hold any electricity.

To fix this, I suggest replacing the battery inside your iPod Nano for two reasons: This is the only way to keep your iPod working without having to constantly connect it to another power source; and a degraded battery can swell inside the device and push the display from the inside, causing further display problems. In all cases the battery should at least be removed so that it wouldn't start to break other components.

You'll likely have no success bringing it to a Genius Bar as it is likely deemed obsolete and no service would be available; if you resort to fixing it yourself or bringing it to a third party, you might want to be prepared to see cosmetic imperfections as a result of performing the battery change.

Wish you and your iPod all the best,

Suspiciousfish144

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2022 6:20 AM in response to Avizzo

Hello Avizzo/Drew,

Lithium-ion batteries such as these used in almost all iPod models, such as your iPod Nano 7th Gen, is subject to degradation over time, meaning that they hold less and less electrical energy with a full charge.

With normal use circumstances, such as recharging every few days, the battery wouldn't degrade very soon.

However, one thing will damage your battery irreversibly and quickly, which is over-discharging your battery and leaving it discharged for long. This can occur if a device is left playing until the battery depletes, and the owner forgets to recharge the battery for some days, or it could be caused by the battery's self-drain properties.

Li-ion batteries deplete themselves at a very low rate, so low that most products don't bother with self-drain, and the customer gets the product just fine within a few months of manufacturing. Buying a 7-year old item is different, though, because the time your iPod sits in the box is so long that the battery has long depleted by itself and it is suffering deep degradation before you even have the chance of powering it up. Chances are that the battery is completely dead in your iPod, and your iPod wouldn't hold any electricity.

To fix this, I suggest replacing the battery inside your iPod Nano for two reasons: This is the only way to keep your iPod working without having to constantly connect it to another power source; and a degraded battery can swell inside the device and push the display from the inside, causing further display problems. In all cases the battery should at least be removed so that it wouldn't start to break other components.

You'll likely have no success bringing it to a Genius Bar as it is likely deemed obsolete and no service would be available; if you resort to fixing it yourself or bringing it to a third party, you might want to be prepared to see cosmetic imperfections as a result of performing the battery change.

Wish you and your iPod all the best,

Suspiciousfish144

Feb 26, 2022 9:38 AM in response to Suspiciousfish144

Thanks for your reply! Over time last night I was thinking about the battery being the issue, and everything you say makes perfect sense. I wanted an iPod Nano considering the size would be perfect for my running shorts and it wouldn’t be an inconvenience to carry.

I had a basic understanding of batteries but I really appreciate the more in depth analysis! I figured that there’d be a possibility of the device holding at least SOME charge, but I can understand how after 7 years it can be dead (even brand new). The only thing I find nuts though is how my old Nintendo products like my DSi and Gameboy still hold a charge since I’ve had them as a kid (early 2000’s). They probably have a different type of battery.

I’m gonna try third party considering the device is technically new and hopefully I can use my product.

Many thanks,

Avizzo/Drew

(New) iPod Nano 7th Gen - Recently Fresh Unboxed - Turns Off After Unplugging Device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.