You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thread enabled devices slow reaction time

First, I have to echo all of the above issues with the thread-enabled devices. I have 16 Nanoleaf essentials bulbs and 3 Nanoleaf essentials light strips connected throughout my home. I also have 2 Apple TV 4Ks, 3 HomePod minis and 2 regular HomePods. Our home is a large 2 bedroom with thick walls but I don’t think the signal would be an issue because our Wi-Fi is setup throughout the entire home.

I’ve tried all troubleshooting multiple times over several months and the Nanoleaf devices still have serious delays or are non-responsive to Siri on a regular basis. When I open the Home app they are always updating so it takes awhile for me to be able to control them through there as well. The HomePods minis have this same issue with Siri, too. Any solutions would be most appreciated.

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 11:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 3:54 PM

I had the same issue with 1 Nanoleaf essentials bulb (out of 10 bulbs). It acted like it was using Bluetooth instead of Thread. Very slow response times.

I removed the bulb from HomeKit, then did a factory reset of the Nanoleaf bulb (search for how to do this…several power cycles). Then added the bulb back to HomeKit and all was fixed!

Nanoleaf has a video on trouble shooting with factory reset as the last option. That option fixed my slow response time of the bulb.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 3, 2022 3:54 PM in response to derrekschwartz

I had the same issue with 1 Nanoleaf essentials bulb (out of 10 bulbs). It acted like it was using Bluetooth instead of Thread. Very slow response times.

I removed the bulb from HomeKit, then did a factory reset of the Nanoleaf bulb (search for how to do this…several power cycles). Then added the bulb back to HomeKit and all was fixed!

Nanoleaf has a video on trouble shooting with factory reset as the last option. That option fixed my slow response time of the bulb.

Feb 27, 2022 9:31 PM in response to derrekschwartz

Sounds frustrating. Judging from the responses to this other “Thread Issues” thread (sic), I don’t have much faith that you’ll get any useful discussion on this forum. I’m just a curious geek. I did note that @MarknTX said that things worked smoothly in HomeKit with the Thread devices when he shut down all but one of the many HomePod minis in his house, leading him to suspect the border gateway function.

Anyway, with all that new Apple Thread-savvy hardware you have, I expect you’ve got some current warranty coverage and I suggest contacting Apple Support by phone - if for no other reason than to learn if there’s someone your call can be escalated to who can speak knowledgeably about HomeKit and Thread devices (and apply some pressure if there’s not :-). Of course, if Nanoleaf has a support team they’ll be in the thick of it with customers using HomePod minis and ATV4K as Thread hubs & border gateways.

Feb 27, 2022 9:01 PM in response to derrekschwartz

Hi Derrek, definitely make sure the bulbs have the latest firmware.

I have a few Nanoleaf bulbs. I had some hiccups in the beginning ("updating" was seen regularly for a brief period). This was a while ago but I troubleshot by changing a few settings to see if I could get it most responsive. The bulbs are now responsive. I did a quick check of some discussions that mentioned Thread may be causing some issues ("maybe", not certain FYI).

So it may be worth trying the following for testing purposes: On your iPhone go into settings, scroll down until you see the Nanoleaf app. Press the Nanoleaf app and you'll see settings. I have Bluetooth enabled/on and local network disabled/off. The bulbs are not, presumably(and I may be incorrect on this), on a thread network. If you give this a try, does it change the responsiveness (give it a few minutes after the change before trying the testing)?

Thread enabled devices slow reaction time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.