Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch Fitness app Move Goal VS Health App Active Energy

If I understand this correct, the "Move" goal (one of the 3 rings that you need to close everyday) in the Fitness app (or the "Activity" app) is for active energy burned, which should be the same if I check the data in the Health app - active energy. However, every time I check data in the two apps mentioned above (Fitness app for apple watch and the Health app itself), I see different numbers of calories. Usually I have more active energy burned shown by the Health app, and less by the Fitness app.

I attach two screenshots that I just took. First one is from the Health app, and it says I've burned 207 calories today (excluding resting energy), and the second is the Fitness app, which says I've burned 142 calories today.

Can anyone please explain to me how I should understand the two different numbers?

Thanks!

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 2:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 2:36 AM

I've seen this happen when someone has their phone with them when they exercise,I leave my phone at home when exercising and have never once encountered this issue.

Also The watch doesn't always update it's data straight away and there could be a delay.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2022 2:36 AM in response to Yvette0816

I've seen this happen when someone has their phone with them when they exercise,I leave my phone at home when exercising and have never once encountered this issue.

Also The watch doesn't always update it's data straight away and there could be a delay.

Mar 1, 2022 3:49 AM in response to Community User

Thanks for the insight! I'll try what you mentioned and test it out, but theoretically Health should merge the data if I take both watch and phone during my exercise?

I also noticed that in the chart by the Health app, it looks like it tracked my calories during my sleep, which should be resting energy and not showing here at all?

I also see similar thing happen on another category - steps. Did some test and I somehow believe that the steps number shown on the fitness app is merely the steps tracked by the watch, while the steps shown in the Health app includes steps that I take when I'm not wearing the watch but only having phone with me. So I'm guessing if it's possible that the Fitness app is only showing calories tracked by the watch and excludes all other data source like the phone.

Thanks again for joining the discussion!

Mar 1, 2022 4:11 AM in response to Yvette0816

When you take steps with the phone they are put straight into the health app,it seems there is some kind of a mixup of steps taken with the phone and steps taken with the watch,this happened to me once and I left my phone at home so it wouldn't record any steps and the problem was solved instantly.

Mar 1, 2022 10:30 PM in response to Community User

Well you might also consider putting your watch at the top priority for steps data source in the Health app so anytime when both watch and phone are recording steps, only watch data will be used to calculate your final step count.

For the active energy different on the two apps, I think I'll dive deeper and see if I can find a reasonable answer.

Appreciate all your insights :)

Watch Fitness app Move Goal VS Health App Active Energy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.