Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dell U4021QW Max Resolution issue Macbook Pro M1 Max and Dell WD19TB

Hello,

Hoping someone is able to help me on this as i'm pretty stumped.

I have a Dell U4021QW and its connected to my macbook pro M1 Max. The max resolution i can get is 3840 x 2160. This is a 5k monitor so wondering why i can't get the max resolution using the dock

If i connect directly to the monitor and mac i'm able to get full resolution.

Any ideas?

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 7:04 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Mar 1, 2022 7:11 AM in response to RichieRicoh

Displays Preferences shows SCALED resolutions. These are NOT the Hardware resolutions you display is set to. These are effective resolutions for TEXT when displayed on that display when you select Scaled.

They are intended to be a convenience for you, but they often cause concern and outright alarm instead.

To see the ACTUAL resolution your display is set to use:

 Menu > about this Mac > (system report) > Graphics & Displays

Select your display and scroll around until you see two items.

The first is self explanatory: 'Resolution:' 2560 by 1080

This is the hardware resolution at which your display is operating. Graphics are drawn at this Actual Resolution. But there is a problem -- If text were displayed at the Actual Resolution, it would be microscopic and unreadable.

The second resolution shown is 'User Interface Looks like:' this reveals the apparent size of text displayed on your display after scaling is applied ONLY to textual items.

Text is rendered at full resolution, then SCALED by the display Hardware by a factor (like 1.2 or 1.5, or 2.0) before it is aded to the display buffer. This makes it fully readable, yet maintains crisp edges that would be lost otherwise.

Mar 1, 2022 7:37 AM in response to RichieRicoh

No, I said the information is Display preference is misleading, and you need to look at that other report to see the ACTUAL RESOLUTION.

¿What resolution is shown there?

¿what cables, adapters and docks are you using to make the connection to the display? please mention EVERY cable and device

Mar 1, 2022 7:59 AM in response to RichieRicoh

Your Dock specs say it supports HDMI 2.0b over its HDMI output. That is fully sort of capable of "5K', BUT only at 30 Hz refresh rate. Otherwise the color space is reduced to fit all the data in.

Direct HDMI connection from your Mac over HDMI cables is no better. The limiting factor us the use of HDMI cables.

If you were to change to using a DisplayPort cable, (with or without the Dock) you would get the full possible "5K" resolution at full colors at 60Hz.

HOWEVER, the Displays Preferences display would continue to be misleading, and you would still have to look here for your actual resolution:

AMD Radeon R9 280X:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon R9 280X

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 3 GB

Vendor: AMD (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x6798

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-E2080C-101

VBIOS Version: 113-280X_GD5_3G_130805KLA1

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.624

Metal: Supported

Displays:

Cinema HD:

Display Type: LCD

Resolution: 2560 x 1600

UI Looks like: 2560 x 1600

Framebuffer Depth: 30-Bit Color (ARGB2101010)

Display Serial Number: CY8360UFXMP

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Mar 1, 2022 8:42 AM in response to RichieRicoh

NONE of the devices you listed supports HDMI 2.1 including the display, which only supports HDMI 2.0 and clearly states in its specs that means HDMI at 30Hz.

The Mac supports HDMI 2.0, the Dock supports HDMI 2.0b.

The display appear to support ThunderBolt directly, or DisplayPort 1.4 either of which support 60 Hz and full color space.

Dell U4021QW Max Resolution issue Macbook Pro M1 Max and Dell WD19TB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.