Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem updating to MacOS Monterey

I am currently on MacOS Mohave (10.14.6) on a MacBook Pro, and am trying to upgrade to MacOS Monterey. I am able to download the update and run the installation. However, when the installation finishes and the computer restarts, I get an error message that says: "Storage system verify or repair failed.: (-69716)." The only option is to basically reboot back into 10.14.6. I thought maybe the download was corrupted somehow, so I removed it then downloaded the update again and re-installed. Unfortunately, I got the same error when I tried to restart. Any ideas on what this error is and how to fix it?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 2, 2022 6:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2022 8:34 AM

You need to get settled and find that backup or create a new one. Or even two.

What needs to happen next is to ERASE your drive (which will delete ALL your files), but will restore your Volumes to working condition so that they can pass Disk First Aid. Then you will be able to re-install or upgrade MacOS, then restore your files from backup.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2022 8:34 AM in response to jarau

You need to get settled and find that backup or create a new one. Or even two.

What needs to happen next is to ERASE your drive (which will delete ALL your files), but will restore your Volumes to working condition so that they can pass Disk First Aid. Then you will be able to re-install or upgrade MacOS, then restore your files from backup.

Problem updating to MacOS Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.