Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LoginWindow.app using significant energy, draining battery fast and causing laptop to heat up

Hi, 3 days ago I noticed that my battery on my M1 MacBook air started to drain drastically first, and realized after clicking on the battery icon on the menu bar that an app called loginwindow.app constantly uses significant energy (it's always on the list).

And when I click on it from the menu bar, the activity monitor opens up to the energy tab without loginwindow.app among the list apps consuming energy. But when I check the cpu usage tab on the activity monitor, I see the process with the highest cpu usage by far. Is there anything I can do about this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 9:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 10:10 PM

andreacampos27 Said:

"LoginWindow.app using significant energy, draining battery fast and causing laptop to heat up"

--------

Two things Here:

Perhaps this is (A.)a Login Item or (B.) you need to Fore Quit it

A. Removing a Login Item:

Two Steps:

1. Exit this App:

Use the following to exit the app and get to Finder the (Smiley face). [command+tab] Use it to Access your Mac when Something is Not Responding - User Tip

then...

2. Remove this Login Item:

Now that you are in Finder, see if LoginWindow.app is a Login Item. If so, remove is as such and then restart the Mac, seeing if this no longer occurs.  Go Here: Change Users & Groups Login Items Preferences on Mac - Apple Support

B. Using Force Quit:

Two Steps

1. Exit this App:

Use the following to exit the app and get to Finder the (Smiley face). Use My User Tip: [command+tab] Use it to Access your Mac when Something is Not Responding - User Tip

2. Force Quit this and All Apps:

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Select: Force Quit...
  3. Select: an app
  4. Click: the Force Quit... button
  5. Click: the Force Quit... Button.
  6. Perform seeps 3-6 for all listed apps
  7. Restart your Mac
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2022 10:10 PM in response to andreacampos27

andreacampos27 Said:

"LoginWindow.app using significant energy, draining battery fast and causing laptop to heat up"

--------

Two things Here:

Perhaps this is (A.)a Login Item or (B.) you need to Fore Quit it

A. Removing a Login Item:

Two Steps:

1. Exit this App:

Use the following to exit the app and get to Finder the (Smiley face). [command+tab] Use it to Access your Mac when Something is Not Responding - User Tip

then...

2. Remove this Login Item:

Now that you are in Finder, see if LoginWindow.app is a Login Item. If so, remove is as such and then restart the Mac, seeing if this no longer occurs.  Go Here: Change Users & Groups Login Items Preferences on Mac - Apple Support

B. Using Force Quit:

Two Steps

1. Exit this App:

Use the following to exit the app and get to Finder the (Smiley face). Use My User Tip: [command+tab] Use it to Access your Mac when Something is Not Responding - User Tip

2. Force Quit this and All Apps:

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Select: Force Quit...
  3. Select: an app
  4. Click: the Force Quit... button
  5. Click: the Force Quit... Button.
  6. Perform seeps 3-6 for all listed apps
  7. Restart your Mac

LoginWindow.app using significant energy, draining battery fast and causing laptop to heat up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.