Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay Apple Music from iPhone to Mac

Hi,

I have a question about Apple Music.

On my iPhone I can't choose my Mac as an airplay device. Meaning I can't control music on my iPhone and stream it to my Mac, which is connected to my speakers. I've tried getting around the problem with iTunes remote ( this only lets my go through songs already in the queue ) as well as some third party tools to use my Mac as an airplay server. So far it isn't working.

Why isn't this a feature? It works with Spotify, shouldn't it be really easy to implement? Or is this just a problem for me? If this really doesn't work it would be a deal breaker for me and I would switch back to Spotify, it's just much more convenient to be able to control music not sitting at my desk.

I appreciate any help to the problem

(Macbook 2017 on Big Sur & iPhone 13 mini with newest ios)

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 4:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 12:17 AM

In order to have a Mac acting as an AirPlay receiver, macOS Monterey is needed.

On this Apple's page you find which devices are compatible (specifically, footnote 7):

macOS Monterey - New Features - Apple

Third party solutions like AirServer or, if you're familiar with terminal commands, Shairport Sync should also work.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2022 12:17 AM in response to leadfreesolder

In order to have a Mac acting as an AirPlay receiver, macOS Monterey is needed.

On this Apple's page you find which devices are compatible (specifically, footnote 7):

macOS Monterey - New Features - Apple

Third party solutions like AirServer or, if you're familiar with terminal commands, Shairport Sync should also work.

Airplay Apple Music from iPhone to Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.