Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mojave Security update seems in a loop

I've got a late 2012 iMac which I recently updated from High Sierra to Mojave. Semed like it was going to be okay until I saw that I needed to run a security update. which was about 8 hours ago. Since then, all I've seen on the screen is the apple logo (no progress bar) which stays on for maybe 5-10 minutes, and then the screen goes black. This just repeats that process. Seems like it's trapped in that loop. Is there anything I can do? I've got a time machine backup drive so I'm of the thinking that if I need to just reformat and start over, I can do that. Reinstalling applications will be painful but may help me purge what I don't need, too.

What are my options at this point?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 5, 2022 9:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 1:57 AM

A Security Update for Mojave should not that that long to install or at least through Up and Error message.

Shutdown the computer by any means including the Power Button.

Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

If using a Bluetooth Keyboard - for better results - suggest a wired keyboard.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2022 1:57 AM in response to snottrocket

A Security Update for Mojave should not that that long to install or at least through Up and Error message.

Shutdown the computer by any means including the Power Button.

Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

If using a Bluetooth Keyboard - for better results - suggest a wired keyboard.

Mojave Security update seems in a loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.