Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Whenever I leave the house, Apple music stops playing from the home pods. Turning off hand-off does not solve the problem. My software is up-to-date.

Whenever I leave the house with my iphone, whatever is playing on the HomePods stops playing. Turning off "hand-off" doesn't work. I am trying to leave music playing on my HomePods for my dogs when I go out. Asking the HomePods to play something, rather than initiating the command from my phone also does not work.

HomePod, 15

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2022 3:33 PM

ammanca wrote:

Whenever I leave the house with my iphone, whatever is playing on the HomePods stops playing. Turning off "hand-off" doesn't work. I am trying to leave music playing on my HomePods for my dogs when I go out.
[...]

Clearly if you're using the Apple Music app on your iPhone, playing via an AirPlay connection to the HomePods (initiated via Hand-off or otherwise), the play will stop when you disconnect from your WiFi link to the HomePods...

Asking the HomePods to play something, rather than initiating the command from my phone also does not work.

Well, this is the right approach... let's make it work! I gather you've gotten Apple Music setup as the Default Service? Do that.

Next, using the Home app, long-press the HomePod(s) in question and scroll down to bring up the Settings Screen... You'll see a section titled "AUTOMATIONS" with a canned Automation labeled "When I Leave Home, Pause Media" with a switch next to it. If that's switched on, there's the problem. If not... try creating a Scene or Automation that plays the dog's favorite music.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2022 3:33 PM in response to ammanca

ammanca wrote:

Whenever I leave the house with my iphone, whatever is playing on the HomePods stops playing. Turning off "hand-off" doesn't work. I am trying to leave music playing on my HomePods for my dogs when I go out.
[...]

Clearly if you're using the Apple Music app on your iPhone, playing via an AirPlay connection to the HomePods (initiated via Hand-off or otherwise), the play will stop when you disconnect from your WiFi link to the HomePods...

Asking the HomePods to play something, rather than initiating the command from my phone also does not work.

Well, this is the right approach... let's make it work! I gather you've gotten Apple Music setup as the Default Service? Do that.

Next, using the Home app, long-press the HomePod(s) in question and scroll down to bring up the Settings Screen... You'll see a section titled "AUTOMATIONS" with a canned Automation labeled "When I Leave Home, Pause Media" with a switch next to it. If that's switched on, there's the problem. If not... try creating a Scene or Automation that plays the dog's favorite music.

Whenever I leave the house, Apple music stops playing from the home pods. Turning off hand-off does not solve the problem. My software is up-to-date.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.