Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open Photos app

"The photos app needs to quit. Photos must quit because the phot library is being moved, is unavailable, or its data is corrupt." (Catalina 10.15.5) Ultimately I'd like to upload all photos to iCloud. [which will be the next question because it won't automatically upload to iCloud] How do I get my pictures back?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Mar 8, 2022 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2022 9:51 PM

What has happened to your Photos Library, before you have received the error message?

Where is your Photos Library stored? Are you keeping it on external volume? Then check, if the external volume is compatible with Photos, as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

You mentioned, the library will not upload to iCloud. Have you tried to move the Photos Library onto iCloud Drive? A Photos Library must not be on a volume or in a folder, that is syncing with a cloud service. It will be damaged by the syncing. If you have moved your Photos Library onto iCloud Drive or in a DropBox or similar, drag your Photos Library back into your Pictures folder.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2022 9:51 PM in response to MDcrab410

What has happened to your Photos Library, before you have received the error message?

Where is your Photos Library stored? Are you keeping it on external volume? Then check, if the external volume is compatible with Photos, as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

You mentioned, the library will not upload to iCloud. Have you tried to move the Photos Library onto iCloud Drive? A Photos Library must not be on a volume or in a folder, that is syncing with a cloud service. It will be damaged by the syncing. If you have moved your Photos Library onto iCloud Drive or in a DropBox or similar, drag your Photos Library back into your Pictures folder.

Mar 8, 2022 5:54 PM in response to MDcrab410

Hi MDcrab410,

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Re: How do I get my pictures back?

You might want to check out the "Apple recommended"answer given in this discussion thread ... seems to have worked!

I just updated to Catalina, and now my ip… - Apple Community

__________________________________-

Re: I'd like to upload all photos to iCloud

Use iCloud Photos to store photos in iCloud – Apple Support

All the best :-)

Can't open Photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.