Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prompt a cell to display more info

I'm putting together a personal budget spreadsheet for my bills. It's essentially just one column for whatever the bill is for (e.g. Car Insurance) and then another for how much I'm paying.

I want more information on the spreadsheet though. I'm thinking it would be handy if I could click a drop down button of some sort to be able to access more. So for example, I could click on "Car Insurance" and then it shows details such as who I'm insured with and what date the insurance runs out. Or I could click on my TV Bill and it would show what specific package I'm subscribed to. I don't necessarily want these clogging up the default view, but it'd be nice to have them easily accessible.

Does anyone know of a way to do that, or maybe a better version of achieving what I'm talking about?

Thanks.

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 7:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 9:37 AM

You could insert a comment into the cell and type your information there. Your information would pop up when you hover the cursor over the cell. This would only be for one cell, though, and it can get in the way. If you have multiple cells that say "car insurance", you would have to put the same comment in each one if you want them all to have it. Or you could comment one "car insurance" cell then copy/paste that cell to the other places that need to say "car insurance".

You could create new sheets and put the information you want into them, either in a table or in a text box. You would click on one of these sheet "tabs" to read the information. When done reading you would click the tab for the sheet you started at and you'll be back where you had been.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 9, 2022 9:37 AM in response to MrZanarkand

You could insert a comment into the cell and type your information there. Your information would pop up when you hover the cursor over the cell. This would only be for one cell, though, and it can get in the way. If you have multiple cells that say "car insurance", you would have to put the same comment in each one if you want them all to have it. Or you could comment one "car insurance" cell then copy/paste that cell to the other places that need to say "car insurance".

You could create new sheets and put the information you want into them, either in a table or in a text box. You would click on one of these sheet "tabs" to read the information. When done reading you would click the tab for the sheet you started at and you'll be back where you had been.

Mar 9, 2022 9:35 AM in response to MrZanarkand

You could consider keeping extra information in your document by clicking a cell and choosing Insert > Comment from the menu or typing shift-command-k. Then you can hover your cursor to call up the comment.

BTW, if you haven't done so already, be sure to check out the Personal Budget template at File > New in your menu. It's highly adaptable, and may prevent you from having to reinvent the wheel.

SG

Prompt a cell to display more info

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.