Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M4A export problems

I have set my itunes preferences to convert my music to MP3, but when I go to export them in to a folder on my laptop (windows) it keeps saving them as M4A's. How can I get them to save as MP3?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 8:47 AM

6 replies

Mar 9, 2022 10:27 AM in response to tt46

The Preferences setting determines which format is used when:

• copying from a CD into your iTunes Library
  • using iTunes to convert a song from another format, within iTunes

It does not have any effect (as far as I know) on songs being exported to anywhere. If you want the songs in MP3 format, you need to convert them in iTunes and then export them.

Mar 9, 2022 12:19 PM in response to tt46

Call me pedantic, but Preferences is not where you convert the files, it's where you set which format the conversions will be in, hence the answer I provided in my last post. The conversion option is under File/Convert/Create MP3 version. Once you have set the format in Preferences (it's actually in Edit/Preferences/General>Import Settings>Import Using: > MP3 Encoder) you can then (and only then) use the iTunes menu option to "convert" them.

Something to note though is that iTunes doesn't actually convert the files; instead it creates a new copy, in your chosen format. So it does not "replace" the original version, it adds a new one. Therefore, if you check in your iTunes Library, you should find two copies of the songs: the originals in m4a and the copies in the new (MP3) format (the conversion). As a consequence, perhaps you have copied the original songs and not the ones created by the conversion.

Check the album in your iTunes Library; are there two copies of the songs on the album? If so (and there should be), make sure that you identify the correct versions for your export. You can use the Date Added to work out which are the conversions, or you can (in the Songs view) use the Kind column to identify the different versions.

M4A export problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.