Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie Library problem on Macbook air

Hi,

I accidentally deleted iMovie Library (and not just the files, but THE file). I tried to recover it, but it doesn't look like it was before (the image of it).

And now I can't edit the videos, because there is no "tool bar" at the bottom of the iMovie where I can drag the videos. I tried creating new libraries, but they don't work.

please help me, I couldn't even find similar problem online because I don't know the name of this iMovie area....

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Mar 10, 2022 9:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2022 8:38 AM

You can create as many iMovie libraries as you like, keep them all on your Mac or an external drive, and each library will be independent of the other. By holding down the Option key while you open iMovie you can choose from the dialogue box the library in which you want iMovie to open. You can move or copy projects and events from one library to the other. Deleting any one of the libraries can be easily done by moving the library's icon to the trash. Deleting a library will not change the work flow of iMovie, except that you will need to operate in a library other than the one you deleted and that is no longer available. However, when you delete a library, as you have found, it permanently removes from your Mac all projects, events and media that was contained in the deleted library. That is why it is important to store your original media in a place additional to iMovie. Projects, however, can only be stored in an iMovie library, so you would need to have a backup of your library or create a new library to store the desired projects.

Here's a link to Apple's online help menu that explains how to work with multiple libraries:

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov3fa25bae7

EDITED BY POSTER: You can delete all iMovie libraries and the next time you open iMovie it will create a new blank library in which to open. All of your projects, events, and media that were contained in the deleted libraries will be lost, however. For that reason, I would avoid getting into the habit of deleting iMovie libraries. It is easy to store them on an external drive that is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS.

-- Rich

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 11, 2022 8:38 AM in response to ytretyakova26

You can create as many iMovie libraries as you like, keep them all on your Mac or an external drive, and each library will be independent of the other. By holding down the Option key while you open iMovie you can choose from the dialogue box the library in which you want iMovie to open. You can move or copy projects and events from one library to the other. Deleting any one of the libraries can be easily done by moving the library's icon to the trash. Deleting a library will not change the work flow of iMovie, except that you will need to operate in a library other than the one you deleted and that is no longer available. However, when you delete a library, as you have found, it permanently removes from your Mac all projects, events and media that was contained in the deleted library. That is why it is important to store your original media in a place additional to iMovie. Projects, however, can only be stored in an iMovie library, so you would need to have a backup of your library or create a new library to store the desired projects.

Here's a link to Apple's online help menu that explains how to work with multiple libraries:

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov3fa25bae7

EDITED BY POSTER: You can delete all iMovie libraries and the next time you open iMovie it will create a new blank library in which to open. All of your projects, events, and media that were contained in the deleted libraries will be lost, however. For that reason, I would avoid getting into the habit of deleting iMovie libraries. It is easy to store them on an external drive that is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or APFS.

-- Rich

Mar 11, 2022 2:02 AM in response to Rich839

I scrolled in alphabetical order, and I didn't find the file (as you can see in the screenshot on Mar 10, 2022 2:04 PM).

Can you please answer my questions?

"Mar 10, 2022 2:40 PM in response to TinenTech

When I first deleted the Library, I dragged the iMovie Library back into the folder. But it looked different than it was before.

My actual problem is not with the "lost projects", since I saved everything on my hard drive. I'm more concerned about the general effect of deleting iMovie libraries. Like does it change the workflow of the iMovie app? Will it affect how the videos are saved?

Or if I create new libraries for future projects, everything will be alright? And once I don't need the libraries, I can delete them easily?"

Mar 10, 2022 1:24 PM in response to ytretyakova26

Maybe I didn't myself clear. I don't try to restore the content of these libraries that I deleted, because I didn't delete the content/projects of it - I deleted The iMovie library file in iMovie file on my Macintosh HD.

And now all files look like this:

I understand that I should have deleted the project from the library, but now I'm afraid that iMovie doesn't work the way it worked before, even though I tried to create new Library files.

Mar 10, 2022 1:58 PM in response to ytretyakova26

Regarding the absent Library item in the Backups file path, you can make that appear. Click on Go/Home and then in the tool bar at the top, click on the little gear icon and from the pop up menu click on Show View Options. Another pane will pop up and from there you can click on Show Library Folder. That will restore the Library item that you are missing.

-- Rich

Mar 10, 2022 10:43 AM in response to ytretyakova26

Hi,

If you keep a Time Machine Backup you can restore your iMovie library to a point in time before you deleted it.

Or, you can try looking in the iMovie Backups folder to see if there is a prior backup of your library that you can open and use.

To get to the iMovie Backups folder, follow this file path from the Finder menu:

Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups

When you get there you will see a list of previous backups of your iMovie library.  Click on one dated just before you deleted your library.  iMovie will open in the backup library.   Navigate to your projects browser (where your projects are displayed as icons) and see if your projects are intact.

If neither of the above procedures work you are probably out of luck unless you have a backup of the library somewhere on your Mac or on an external drive.

-- Rich

Mar 10, 2022 1:06 PM in response to ytretyakova26

Unfortunately, the library is completely separate from the iMovie app, although the iMovie app references it. Redownloading the iMovie app will not restore a library that has been deleted. When the iMovie app is reinstalled it will open in a new blank (empty) library. And the original deleted library itself cannot be independently reinstalled.

Was there an issue about finding the iMovie backups folder? The file path I provided should lead you there, even if your backed up library is not accessible because the media was deleted. So, were you able to get to the backups folder? And if not, what was the problem?

-- Rich

Mar 10, 2022 2:40 PM in response to TinenTech

When I first deleted the Library, I dragged the iMovie Library back into the folder. But it looked different than it was before.

My actual problem is not with the "lost projects", since I saved everything on my hard drive. I'm more concerned about the general effect of deleting iMovie libraries. Like does it change the workflow of the iMovie app? Will it affect how the videos are saved?

Or if I create new libraries for future projects, everything will be alright? And once I don't need the libraries, I can delete them easily?

iMovie Library problem on Macbook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.