Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone and iPad cannot connect to my MacBook's internet sharing anymore.

Since my flat is very long, I had to use a router in my bedroom because I couldn't connect to the WiFi hub in the living room. But recently, the router has become increasingly slow, so I bought an Ethernet adapter for my MacBook, and it works well. I also discovered the internet sharing feature, so whenever I connected it in, I could use the internet with my iPhone and iPad.

Yesterday, it just stopped working. I noticed my iPhone and iPad were attempting to connect to the hub in my living room, and I wondered why they were not connected to my MacBook. I checked, and 'MacBook Pro' is not at the top, so I touched it and waited to join the network. It failed to connect, didn't display any notification. I attempted again today, and it doesn't seem to work. Can you please explain what I should do to diagnose this problem since I don't know what to do? I have been unable to find correct information online as it seems not popular.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 1:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 8:38 AM

simsllama,

We're glad the you were able to successfully connect your devices to your MacBook. You've isolated the issue to a specific user account. These types of issues can be caused by files or settings in the original account. We recommend removing login items to determine the possible cause of this behavior:

Remove login items to resolve startup problems on your Mac

Cheers!

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2022 8:38 AM in response to simsllama

simsllama,

We're glad the you were able to successfully connect your devices to your MacBook. You've isolated the issue to a specific user account. These types of issues can be caused by files or settings in the original account. We recommend removing login items to determine the possible cause of this behavior:

Remove login items to resolve startup problems on your Mac

Cheers!

Mar 15, 2022 7:04 AM in response to simsllama

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, simsllama!

We understand you're trying to connect your iPhone and iPad to your MacBook for internet sharing. We'd be happy to provide information to help you address this.

Start out by restarting your router and all of your devices:Restart your iPhoneRestart your iPad

Once you've restarted, try to connect again. If that still doesn't work, turn off the "Internet Sharing" option and then turn it back on.

Let us know the results.Have a great day!

Mar 16, 2022 6:06 AM in response to simsllama

Thanks for those details simsllama,

Could you confirm for us the settings for your MacBook Pro? Here are the steps to follow:

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Sharing , then select Internet Sharing in the service list.
  2. Click the “Share your connection from” pop-up menu, then choose the internet connection you want to share. For example, if you’re connected to the internet over Ethernet, choose Ethernet.
  3. In the “To computers using” list, select the port other computers use to access the shared internet connection. For example, if you want to share your internet connection over Wi-Fi, select Wi-Fi.
  4. If you chose Wi-Fi in the “To computers using” list, click Wi-Fi Options, configure the internet-sharing network, then click OK.
  5. Network Name: Type a name for the shared connection.
  6. Channel: Click the Channel pop-up menu, then choose another channel if you don’t want to use the default channel.
  7. Security: If available, click the Security pop-up menu, then choose an option.
    1. Choose WPA3 Personal if all computers that use the shared connection support WPA3.
    2. Choose WPA2/WPA3 Personal if some computers that use the shared connection support only WPA2.
  8. Password: Enter a password. If you want to see the current password, select the “Show password” checkbox below the password.
  9. In the Service list at the left, select the Internet Sharing checkbox.
  10. If you’re sure you want to turn on internet sharing, click Start. Otherwise, click Cancel.

Thanks!

Mar 16, 2022 7:41 AM in response to ShannonM1

Hi Shannon,

Thank you for your response.

So, I'm connected to the internet over Ethernet. It says 'Ethernet Adapter (en5)' in the 'Share your connection from:' field. I'm sharing over Wi-Fi, and I've selected Channel 11 and WPA2/WPA3 Personal. Changing any of these settings don't seem to make a difference. Did I miss anything out?

Thanks,

simsllama

My iPhone and iPad cannot connect to my MacBook's internet sharing anymore.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.