Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Studio Display - Best way to connect to wired ethernet network?

I am planning to connect my new 2021 MacBook pro 14" to this display. I don't believe either the MacBook or the Studio Display have an ethernet port. So would it be better to get a USB-C to ethernet port and plug into the display or into the MacBook? And if the MacBook, is there any difference if i use USB-C -to-Ethernet vs. thunderbolt-to-ethernet?

I would prefer the network into the monitor so I can limit the number of cables i need to plug in to the MacBook every time I sit down with it. The thunderbolt connection between the monitor and MacBook will handle the Power and Display, but will it also handle the ethernet network connection?

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2022 7:06 AM

So if I get this right:

Ethernet (using usb-c adapter) hooked up to the studio display

MacBook Pro and studio display connected using thunderbolt 3 (usb-c)

The MacBook Pro will be connected to the network?

I don't really care about the speed or the width.

I don't want to sit down and connect the MacBook Pro to the Ethernet.

There is no point buying an expensive screen that connects with one cable if I still need to connect the MacBook Pro using another cable.

Thank you in advance. :)

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2022 7:06 AM in response to tbirdvet

So if I get this right:

Ethernet (using usb-c adapter) hooked up to the studio display

MacBook Pro and studio display connected using thunderbolt 3 (usb-c)

The MacBook Pro will be connected to the network?

I don't really care about the speed or the width.

I don't want to sit down and connect the MacBook Pro to the Ethernet.

There is no point buying an expensive screen that connects with one cable if I still need to connect the MacBook Pro using another cable.

Thank you in advance. :)

Mar 28, 2022 12:18 PM in response to tbirdvet

The problem is that you can't establish a true gigabit connection. When connected through my thunderbolt 2 dock (which the studio display can't hook up to) and Thunderbolt Display I get 950mbps. When I use the studio display I get around 500mbps. I have tried 4 different gigabit usb c adapters, including the Belkin adapter that Apple sells. I just ordered a 2.5g USB C ethernet adapter to see if I have better luck.

Pretty crazy that my 10 year old Thunderbolt Display can handle a faster network connection.

Mar 19, 2022 7:04 AM in response to TerrapinFlyer

The studio display is still rare in spotlight atm.

Best I've guess that the Thunderbolt daisy chain should work as Apple advised. Because Apple has always been trusted in certifications which you can check on thunderbolt official web page.

Thunderbolt incude the Ethernet connection. Again as they advised also I did try few time with XDR display at my end. It worked.

May 20, 2022 7:11 AM in response to MichielBogaert

Correct. If you don't care about the speed any USB-C ethernet adapter will work. You could even get one that is a hub with other ports as well.

This is the one I bought that works flawlessly.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Ethernet-PowerExpand-Aluminum-Portable/dp/B097N5WJY9/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=usb-c+2.5g+ethernet&qid=1653055736&sprefix=usb-c+2.5%2Caps%2C56&sr=8-4

May 25, 2022 11:49 PM in response to JeremyBElsom

I tried that same Anker cable mentioned above with my Studio Display (with a new MBP 16") and I couldn't get mine to work plugging into the usb c ports on the display. You might have been using a hub.

The Studio Display replaced my old Thunderbolt Display, which I was able to connect my ethernet cable to directly (and worked great as I have two laptops I switch between and didn't have to touch that cable ever). This new display is nice, but realize how a few limitations will be very quick deal breakers for some.

Jun 1, 2022 6:25 AM in response to JeremyBElsom

Ok, found the problem. I was using a usb-c extention from the monitor, connected to these magnetic usb-c connectors for easy swapability from computers that were connected to other thunderbolt cables that went directly to the MBPs (so i could swap the connection at the middle point, vs at the monitor or computer port), but when I removed them, the ethernet (using the anker adapter) and keyboard (using standard usb-c cable) connected to the monitor didn't work any longer.

Studio Display - Best way to connect to wired ethernet network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.