Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External screen iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021)

Is there a way to use my MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) as an external screen with my iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021)?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2022 9:45 AM

The sysreqs for Target Display Mode (TDM) are in this Apple support article:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

No MacBook Pro ever worked as an external monitor via TDM, and only a limited number of iMacs—the last discontinued in Late 2014—could act as monitors for another Mac.

You have the option of network screen sharing but it will be laggy and does not support extended desktop.

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

The is a new option in Monterey called Airplay to Mac. I cannot only find it mentioned among new Monterey features but not in any current support articles. There are some examples on YouTube but ythis option also appears laggy.

You can get a quality external monitor for under US$100 that will not lag, will permit extended desktop, and be much easier to connect to your MacBook Pro. That is my best recommendation for your config.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 14, 2022 9:45 AM in response to Ammeul

The sysreqs for Target Display Mode (TDM) are in this Apple support article:

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

No MacBook Pro ever worked as an external monitor via TDM, and only a limited number of iMacs—the last discontinued in Late 2014—could act as monitors for another Mac.

You have the option of network screen sharing but it will be laggy and does not support extended desktop.

Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

The is a new option in Monterey called Airplay to Mac. I cannot only find it mentioned among new Monterey features but not in any current support articles. There are some examples on YouTube but ythis option also appears laggy.

You can get a quality external monitor for under US$100 that will not lag, will permit extended desktop, and be much easier to connect to your MacBook Pro. That is my best recommendation for your config.

External screen iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.