Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Universal control - uppercase typing not supported?

With Universal Control, I'm finding that my M1 MacBook Air keyboard won't type uppercase letters on my iPad Pro (2018). Is this a known issue or does someone have a fix? I have the correct country hardware keyboard selected on my iPad. Thanks

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 6:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 7:56 PM

I have the same issue, done a bunch of research and got nowhere but seems like I found my own solution!

On Your iPad:

Go to SETTINGS > Accessibility > Keyboards > HARDWARE KEYBOARDS > turn Full Keyboard Access to ON

** Also (on the same page), SOFTWARE KEYBOARD > toggle Show Lowercase Keys to ON

And wahlaaaa, I am typing happily using my MBPro 2019 (15’ inch) laptop’s default keyboard on my 2021 11inch IPad Pro 😎

• Command shortcut keys (e.g. Command +C , Command+V, etc) all working now too
  • Also my Razer Orochi V2 mouse works well without disrupting Universal Control, no matter using the USB receiver or via Bluetooth (saw some posts said you have to disable external mouse Bluetooth to fix the keyboard issue but that doesn’t apply to me)

Hope this help y’all 😁

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 29, 2022 7:56 PM in response to bradfrombracknell

I have the same issue, done a bunch of research and got nowhere but seems like I found my own solution!

On Your iPad:

Go to SETTINGS > Accessibility > Keyboards > HARDWARE KEYBOARDS > turn Full Keyboard Access to ON

** Also (on the same page), SOFTWARE KEYBOARD > toggle Show Lowercase Keys to ON

And wahlaaaa, I am typing happily using my MBPro 2019 (15’ inch) laptop’s default keyboard on my 2021 11inch IPad Pro 😎

• Command shortcut keys (e.g. Command +C , Command+V, etc) all working now too
  • Also my Razer Orochi V2 mouse works well without disrupting Universal Control, no matter using the USB receiver or via Bluetooth (saw some posts said you have to disable external mouse Bluetooth to fix the keyboard issue but that doesn’t apply to me)

Hope this help y’all 😁

Mar 15, 2022 12:35 PM in response to Meg The Dog

I was able to narrow it down a bit. It seems to be caused by bluetooth mouse/keyboard being connected. If I disconnect it, it seems to be able to pick up the shift key (and command key) from my MacBook's keyboard.

However reconnecting the bluetooth keyboard/mouse it will eventually stop working again.

What's strange was this was working fine yesterday with my bluetooth devices connected. When I started up today it stopped working :(

Mar 16, 2022 2:02 AM in response to john_510

Thanks, everyone. That does seem to be the issue... The MX Keys connected via Bluetooth cause the shift key to stop functioning properly; both on the MX keyboard and the MacBook keyboard as well!

I don't have a unifying receiver for the MX mini. I tried using the USB C to USB A cable, but that did not resolve the issue.

Hoping for a fix soon...

Mar 19, 2022 10:51 AM in response to bradfrombracknell

i have what may be somewhat of a temporary workaround. i'm unwilling to use wifi on my mx master mouse so i have this issue as well (shift key not working. one thing is i can hit caps lock for a capital letter which is likely the best workaround albeit unwieldy for more than a short string. i'm at an advantage because i type nearly 100% lowercase and thus i have the autocorrect 'capitalize' toggle turned off. but if you turn it on and type a word it will autocorrect to have a leading capital letter. this will only really be helpful for single words though and for sentences likely only capitalizes the first word.

oh, and i have a keychrom q1 keyboard connected via usb cable. so i have no idea why a bluetooth mouse would affect a key on the keyboard--i've seen a lot of strange stuff over the years and this is quite strange indeed.

i also had to reverse the scrolling to comport with my mac desktop. other than that, so far it's pretty nice--especially since i updated to the new ipad air and did a clean install and am having to set things up from scratch. /guy

Mar 19, 2022 11:08 AM in response to golftango

It is very odd that the Logitech MX Master mouse connected to the MacBook Pro would have anything to do with uppercase typing via Universal Control, but apparently it does.

When I toggled off the MX Master mouse so that it no longer was usable on the MacBook Pro, then all of a sudden, using the shift key on the MacBook Pro yielded capital letters on the iPad connected via Universal Control.

So whose responsibility is it to fix this bug? Apple? Logitech?

Mar 29, 2022 8:41 PM in response to _infinideas_

you win the apple branch of the internet today my friend! i only had to change the first setting (and tell the truth i thought that i had changed it when i installed the google gboard software keyboard) and my shift key works perfectly and i tested out some cmd+nnn strings and it all worked. 

mac mini m1, monterey (b), keychron q1 keyboard, ipad air 2022 version, logitech mx master 3 mouse using steermouse controller and bt.

can't thank you enough mate! /guy

Universal control - uppercase typing not supported?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.