Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't make outgoing calls using iPhone on iPad

I have an iPad running iOS 9.3.6 and an iPhone SE running 15.2.1. I'm in the UK.

I am trying to use Continuity to make and receive calls on my iPad. The hardware and software meet the requirements. I set up everything as instructed:

-- phone settings allow calls on nearby devices, then specifically allow on iPad

-- iPad Facetime settings make calls from iPhone

-- Facetime active signed in on same Apple ID on both devices, checked multiple times

-- both devices signed into same Apple ID

-- both devices on same WiFi network.

I know that Continuity is working because I receive incoming phonecalls on my iPad as expected, and I can answer them and talk using Facetime.

But I can't make outgoing calls on the iPad. When I select a contact in Facetime it gives me the option 'Start a phone call using your iPhone' as expected. When I select the number it says 'calling using iPhone'. Then the call immediately ends with the message 'Call Using iPhone Failed'.

I have already looked at tens of answers on a load of different sites and nothing helps. I've tried restarting both devices; toggling airplane mode off and on on both devices; signing out of my Apple ID and back in again on both devices. My iPad is 1st gen and can't be updated beyond iOS 9 but Continuity is supposed to work on that operating system and it does work for incoming calls.

Does anyone have any ideas beyond the ones I've already tried?

iPad mini, iOS 9

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 6:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 6:52 AM

I have myself, on occasion, experienced this issue. There are several potential causes…

Your WiFi/Broadband router may be unexpectedly blocking or dropping some network traffic, impacting communication with either the iPhone (where calls are routed directly via the iPhone via the local WiFi connection) or directly with your Cellular provider’s servers where your iPad is using WiFi Calling. In these circumstances, a restart of your Router - followed by a forced restart of both iPhone and iPad - will often clear the problem.

To restart your router, disconnect power from the router for at least 30 seconds - then reconnect power to restart. After your router reboots (which may take several minutes), force restart your iPad as before:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

If the router and device restart does not resolve the issue, counter intuitively, disable WiFi calling (in settings) on your iPad and iPhone - then force restart both iPhone and iPad. After restarting, wait a few minutes - and then re-enable WiFi Calling:

Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2022 6:52 AM in response to LeoAnne

I have myself, on occasion, experienced this issue. There are several potential causes…

Your WiFi/Broadband router may be unexpectedly blocking or dropping some network traffic, impacting communication with either the iPhone (where calls are routed directly via the iPhone via the local WiFi connection) or directly with your Cellular provider’s servers where your iPad is using WiFi Calling. In these circumstances, a restart of your Router - followed by a forced restart of both iPhone and iPad - will often clear the problem.

To restart your router, disconnect power from the router for at least 30 seconds - then reconnect power to restart. After your router reboots (which may take several minutes), force restart your iPad as before:

• On an iPad with a Home button: Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.
  • On an iPad with Face ID: Press and quickly release the volume up button, press and quickly release the volume down button, then press and hold the top button. When the Apple logo appears, release the button.

If the router and device restart does not resolve the issue, counter intuitively, disable WiFi calling (in settings) on your iPad and iPhone - then force restart both iPhone and iPad. After restarting, wait a few minutes - and then re-enable WiFi Calling:

Make a call with Wi-Fi Calling - Apple Support

Mar 15, 2022 12:12 PM in response to LotusPilot

Many thanks for your very fast reply and detailed instructions. I switched off the router, disabled WiFi calling on the phone (the iPad doesn't have phone settings), restarted the router and waited till WiFi was back (verified by connection on my PC), did a forced restart on both devices and re-enabled WiFi calling on the phone.

Unfortunately it made no difference: I can still receive but not make calls on the iPad.

I've now discovered that even receiving calls is not reliable. I think my iPad needs to be open and active in order to receive calls. If I lock it then after a few minutes it stops receiving -- as if perhaps the WiFi adapter goes into a dormant state. This makes me wonder whether there is an undocumented need for a more modern generation of iPad, even though the OS meets the documented spec.

Can't make outgoing calls using iPhone on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.