Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any way to tell iCloud or iOS to only sound a notification on phone rather than some other nearby device?

How can I force audio notifications to just be on my phone rather than any other nearby iCloud device?

Thanks.

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 1:16 PM

idjwert wrote:

Apps make notifications in iOS. Apple also makes notifications like when you go to log in to your Apple ID on a new device, or when you get a message in iMessage, or voicemail or phone call, etc.

So which are you asking about? App notifications? Call/text notifications? Two-Factor Authentication code messages? Or some combination? Please be specific.

Generally, a third party app will only notify you on a specific device.

Calls and text can notify you on all the devices signed into the same Apple ID. You can select which ones under (on your phone) Settings>Messages>Text Message Forwarding and Settings>Phone>Calls on Other Devices.

See also here:

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

Make and receive calls on your Mac, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

You can decide which devices get the 2FA code by selecting which devices are "trusted". See here:

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 15, 2022 1:16 PM in response to idjwert

idjwert wrote:

Apps make notifications in iOS. Apple also makes notifications like when you go to log in to your Apple ID on a new device, or when you get a message in iMessage, or voicemail or phone call, etc.

So which are you asking about? App notifications? Call/text notifications? Two-Factor Authentication code messages? Or some combination? Please be specific.

Calls and text can notify you on all the devices signed into the same Apple ID. You can select which ones under (on your phone) Settings>Messages>Text Message Forwarding and Settings>Phone>Calls on Other Devices.

See also here:

How to forward SMS/MMS text messages from your iPhone to your iPad, iPod touch or Mac - Apple Support

Make and receive calls on your Mac, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

You can decide which devices get the 2FA code by selecting which devices are "trusted". See here:

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Mar 15, 2022 12:49 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Ok so maybe I posted this in the wrong forum and misunderstand what umbrella the services fall under or what exactly is happening.

What seems to happen is that whether from apps or from Apple (not sure if it is just some or all of these but like if you get a phone call I think it only audibly rings on one device, or get a text or voicemail), if notifications make a sound, it will only be on one device even if you have many logged in to the same Apple ID. I'm not sure whether this is by locality (like if they are all in the same room or same basic location) or if it would happen even if the device-other-than-my-phone were not nearby. I want all these notifications to make a sound on my phone instead of randomly (?) pick another device.

Maybe this is two or more separate issues. Maybe it's the Apps themselves doing it each individually. I want my phone to always make a sound when there is some notification on the pool of devices logged in to the same account(s).

Thanks.

Mar 15, 2022 2:11 PM in response to idjwert

idjwert wrote:

IdrisSeabright wrote:
Yeah that seems to be the problem I am having. I assumed this was a feature of iOS and some kind of service but I guess that was a bad assumption.

So, are you saying that you are getting notifications from an app on one device on a different device? Have you checked to see if you have the app installed on both devices?

Or did you mean something else?

Did you see my subsequent comments/replies? I explained some of the confusion.

Yes, they significantly added to the confusion.

Mar 16, 2022 6:32 AM in response to idjwert

You can turn off notifications on any third-party apps on any devices you don't want to hear them on. For example, if you have an app on both your iPad and your iPhone, you can turn off the notifications on the iPad. Any notifications from the app will still happen on your iPhone.

If the app is only installed on one device, you will only hear/see the notifications on that device.

Any way to tell iCloud or iOS to only sound a notification on phone rather than some other nearby device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.