Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The right choice?

I am going to order the Mac Studio with the M1 ultra a 1TB SSD and 64GB RAM.

I'm just not sure if 64GB of RAM is enough.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 5:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2022 7:41 AM

64GB is way too much for some uses, way too little for others, and just right for still more.

Everything readers know about your situation is what you have posted -- that you are considering a Mac with 64GB RAM.

Please tell us about the work you do in detail.

Also, what Mac/PC do you use today, and how does it meet or not meet your needs?

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 16, 2022 7:41 AM in response to Luc De Rop

64GB is way too much for some uses, way too little for others, and just right for still more.

Everything readers know about your situation is what you have posted -- that you are considering a Mac with 64GB RAM.

Please tell us about the work you do in detail.

Also, what Mac/PC do you use today, and how does it meet or not meet your needs?

Mar 16, 2022 8:12 AM in response to Luc De Rop

I have a iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), 4,2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, 1TB SSD, Radeon Pro 580 8 GB.

When i edit movies in Final Cut, the rendering takes ages.

And even when the computer has started up and no programs are open, the kernel task makes my quad cores running very high.

A few months ago I have completly installed everything from the start but the problem of the kernel task remains.

And 3 extern Lacie Thunderbolt drives of 12TB, 10 & 10 TB. This are used for storage of the media.

For example: I place the library of Photo's on de external drive, so only the software is on my internal startup SSD.

Same for the library of Final Cut Pro; iTunes, etc.

The 2nd drive is a backup of the first external drive and the 3th is another backup, that i stored in a safe. I replace montly those two harddrives so I always have a backup in case of fire, burglary, etc

Mar 16, 2022 8:29 AM in response to Luc De Rop

if you were running 10.11 El Capitan and little else, more than 6GB RAM is required.

If you are running Monterey and little else, 8GG of RAM is just adequate today. So 16GB would be recommended for a new Mac just for web-surfing.

If you want to edit Video on top of that basic requirement, there is NEVER enough RAM. You are NOT making a mistake specifying 64GB.

Very few Applications can take advantage of many processors. But more cores in the GPU are a welcome addition and will speed up things like editing Video.

-------

Many Video Editors' systems are I/O bound. You have already taken the important speedup of placing source on a drive that is NOT the boot drive. Press on and do that some more. Place Destinations on another drive, and Library/scratch on another drive, and continue using the Boot drive only for the Application and MacOS.

Apr 10, 2022 1:45 AM in response to Luc De Rop

So I still have doubt about my order:

I have order the Mac Studio Ultra with 128 RAM. But after watching all those reviews on YouTube about what type of Mac Studio (Max or Ultra) I should buy, I start to doubt iff I have made the right choice.

My main concern having a computer that can last for a long time, at least 6 years and still be able to work perfect. And I already own a Macbook, so I don't wanna use a laptop for my daily work.

Because I own a iMac that runs very slow with the software that I ue, I want a new computer that works much better.

To give an example of my current frustration with my current IMac.

When this start up without any program running, the 4 CPU's are running at it's maximum ?!

And I don't know hhow this occurs.

Sow if you can give me suggestions about every option, I would appreciate it

Thank you

The right choice?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.